Manually Operated Piston Driven Mini Shock Tube
The need for miniaturization of shock tubes capable of producing overpressures identical to the farfield overpressures produced by the blasts is increasing due to their applications in the study of blast induced traumatic brain injuries (bTBI) using small animals  as well as in the design of needleless drug delivery systems . Recently a table-top explosive driven shock tube has been reported for investigating the bTBI and biological tissues in rats  by employing exploding rifle primer which creates a shock wave in the rifle barrel. Also a multi-mode shock tube driven by compressed air, compressed helium, oxyhydrogen and RDX explosion for investigating the bTBI has been reported .
KeywordsShock Wave Traumatic Brain Injury Mach Number Vortex Ring Shock Tube
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chavko, M., Koller, W.A., Prusaczyk, W.K., McCarron, R.M.: Measurement of blast wave by a miniature fiber optic pressure transducer in the rat brain. J. Neurosci. Methods 159, 277–281Google Scholar
- 3.Courtney, M.W., Courtney, A.C.: Note: A table-top blast driven shock tube. Rev. Sci. Instru. 81, 126103-1–126103-3Google Scholar
- 4.Reneer, D.V., Hisel, R.D., Hoffman, J.M., Kryscio, R.J., Lusk, B.T., Geddes, J.W.: A multi-mode shock tube for investigation of blast-induced traumatic brain injury. J. Neurotrauma, 28, 95-104Google Scholar
- 5.Reddy, K.P.J., Hegde, M.S., Jayaram, V.: Material processing and surface reaction studies in free piston driven shock tube. In: Proc. 26th International Symposium on Shock Waves, Gottingen, Germany, pp. 35–42Google Scholar
- 6.Patent application is under processGoogle Scholar