Surrogate-Based Multi-objective Aerothermodynamic Design Optimization of Hypersonic Spiked Bodies
Among various design requirements, reducing both drag and aerodynamic heating is the most crucial in the design of hypersonic vehicles. Pointed slender bodies generate lower drag compared with blunt bodies at hypersonic conditions. Hence, they provide a good choice as far as drag reduction is concerned. On the other hand, blunt bodies were found to yield lower heating levels compared with their pointed counterparts . In fact, hypersonic vehicles such as missiles, interplanetary space missions, space planes, and launch missiles usually have blunt shapes ,. Obviously, designing a vehicle that simultaneously satisfies both minimum drag and aerodynamic heating is not straightforward and there is a challenging trade-off between these two vital requirements. However, it is believed that these two requirements can be met by altering the flowfield pattern around the blunt body so as to eliminate the strong detached bow shock wave. A variety of techniques have been implemented in this regard  but the use of spikes proved to be the simplest and the most effective technique in reducing both drag and aerodynamic heating .
KeywordsShear Layer Pareto Front Drag Reduction Hypersonic Flow Spike Length
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Mehta, R.C.: Flow Field Computations Over Conical, Disc and Flat Spiked Body at Mach 6. AIAA Paper, 2009-325 (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Crawford, D.H.: Investigation of The Flow over a Spiked-Nose Hemisphere-Cylinder. NASA TN-D-118 (December 1959)Google Scholar
- 7.Motoyama, N., Mihara, K., Miyajima, R., Watanuki, T., Kubota, H.: Thermal Protection and Drag Reduction with Use of Spike in Hypersonic Flow. AIAA paper 2001-1828 (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Viana, F.A.C.: SURROGATES Toolbox (December 2009), http://fchegury.googlepages.com
- 11.Fluent 6.3 User Guide, Fluent Inc., Lebanon, NH 03766, USAGoogle Scholar
- 12.Gambit 2.4 User Guide, Fluent Inc., Lebanon, NH 03766, USAGoogle Scholar
- 13.Kalimuthu, R., Mehta, R.C., Rathakrishnan, E.: Experimental Investigation on Spiked Body in Hypersonic Flow. The Aeronautical Journal 112(1136), 593–598 (2008)Google Scholar
- 15.NSGA-II toolbox for Matlab user guide, http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/10429-nsga-ii-a-multi-objective-optimization-algorithm (cited January 2010)