Thrust Shock Vector Control of an Axisymmetric C-D Nozzle via Transverse Gas Injection
The flowfield resulting from the transverse gas injection into the supersonic cross-flow is the problematic of many aerospace applications ranging from the scram-jet fuel injection to the reaction jets and fluidic thrust vectoring(FTV). The prominent case of FTV by the use of the secondary injection represents promisingly attractive and effective way of control for small aerospace vehicles. Main advantages of the FTV are light-weightiness, simplicity and potential efficiency of such system comparing to the conventional mechanical TVC and mechanical deflectors.  Elimination of heavy and robust actuators and their replacement with only the fast-opening valves leads to the very significant reduction in mass. Fast dynamic response (~500Hz) to the conventional (~30Hz)  , very small losses in specific impulse and thus thrust are promising efficiency benefits. The CNES ”Perseus” project which this study is part of and design concept have aim of incorporating fluidic TVC on the future ”micro” launcher. Some of the results from the ongoing investigation are presented in this article.
KeywordsMach Disk Settling Chamber Nozzle Pressure Ratio Conical Nozzle Secondary Injection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Santigo, J.G., Dutton, J.: Crossflow vortices of a jet injected into a supersonic crossflow. AIAA Journal 35, 5 (1997)Google Scholar
- 4.Durand, P., Vieille, B., Lambare, H., Vuillermoz, P., Boure, G., Steinfeld, P., Godfroy, F., Guery, J.F.: CPS: A three-dimensional CFD numerical code dedicated to space propulsive flows. AIAA A00-36976 3864 (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Wing, D.J., Giuliano, V.J.: Fluidic thrust vectoring of an axisymmetric exhaust nozzle at static conditions. ASME FEDSM97-3228 (1997)Google Scholar
- 7.Maarouf, N., Sellam, M., Grignon, M., Chpoun, A.: Thrust vectoring through fluid injection in an axisymmetrical supersonic nozzle. ISSW 26(2), 1141–1147 (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Mangin, B., Chpoun, A., Jacquin, L.: Experimental and numerical study of the fluidic thrust vectoring of a two-dimensional supersonic nozzle. AIAA 2006-3666 (2006)Google Scholar