Steady Energy Deposition at Mach 5 for Drag Reduction
Historically the potential of energy-assisted shaping of high-speed flows with modest on board power requirements has been the subject of a number of earlier investigations. The possibility of obtaining drag reduction using energy sources upstream of blunt bodies has been pioneered by Georgievskii and Levin  and Myrabo and Raizer  in theoretical studies. In their studies the magnitude of the drag reduction was found to be insensitive to the location of energy deposition at a sufficiently large distance from the body. This was followed up by various computational studies; Levin and Terenteva  and Riggins et al.  showed power savings over cones and blunt bodies using two dimensional Euler/laminar computations.
KeywordsEnergy Deposition Drag Reduction Supersonic Flow Blast Wave Schlieren Image
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Georgievskii, P., Levin, V.: Supersonic Flow over a Body with Heat Supply Ahead of it. In: Proceedings of the Steklov Inst. of Mathematics, Steklov Inst. of Mathematics, pp. 229–234. American Mathematical Society, Providence (1991)Google Scholar
- 2.Myrabo, L.N., Raizer, Y.P.: Laser Induced Air Spikes for Advance Trans. Atmospheric Vehicles. AIAA 1994-2451Google Scholar
- 3.Levin, V.A., Terent’eva, L.V.: Effect of a Local Energy Supply Region on 3-D Flow Around a Cone. Fluid Dynamics 31(3), 388–394 (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Kolesnichenko, Y., Brovkin, V., Azarova, O., Grudnitsky, V., Lashkov, V., Mashek, I.: Microwave Energy Release Regimes for Drag Reduction in Supersonic Flows. AIAA 2002-0353Google Scholar
- 6.Girgis, I.G., Shneider, M.N., Macheret, S.O., Brown, G.L., Miles, R.B.: Creation of Steering Moments in Supersonic Flow by Off-Axis Plasma Heat Addition. AIAA 2002-0129Google Scholar
- 7.Zheltovodov, A.A., Pimonov, E.A., Knight, D.: Energy Deposition Influence on Supersonic Flow over Axisymmetric Bodies. AIAA 2007-1230Google Scholar
- 8.Kolesnichenko, Y.F., Brovkin, V.G., Khmara, D.V., Lashkov, V.A., Mashek, I.C., Ryvkin, M.I.: 2004 4th Int. Workshop on Thermochemical and Plasma Processes in Aerodynamics (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Myrabo, L.N., Raizer, Y.P., Shneider, M.N., Bracken, R.: Reduction of Drag and Energy Consumption during Energy Release Preceding a Blunt Body in Supersonic Flow. Heat and Mass Transfer and Gasdynamics, High Temperature 42(6), 901–910 (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Erdem, E., Yang, L., Kontis, K.: Drag Reduction by Energy Deposition in Hypersonic Flows. AIAA 2009-7347Google Scholar
- 13.Erdem, E., Yang, L., Kontis, K.: Drag Reduction Studies by Steady Energy Deposition at Mach 5. AIAA 2011-1027Google Scholar