Magnetic Configuration Effect on the Interaction between the Weakly Ionized Flow and the Applied Magnetic Field
Since the pioneering work by Ziemer et al., the interaction of the weakly ionized flow with a magnetized body has been investigated both experimentally[3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 2, 8] and numerically[9, 10, 11, 12]. This interaction has become a topic of interest as it has attractive applications to the mitigation of aerodynamic heating in hypersonic flight vehicles, which was numerically demonstrated by Poggie and known as the electrodynamic heat-shield. Thus far, except for limited reports[13, 8], mitigation of aerodynamic heating has not been experimentally demonstrated. One such recent report was made by Gülhan, but its result is still debatable. Alongside the experimental efforts, numerical investigations have been conducted intensively[10, 11, 12]. It has come to our attention that, unlike the simple flow model assumed by Poggie, the interaction may be influenced by a variety of effects such as the Hall effect .
KeywordsHall Effect Stagnation Point AIAA Paper Shock Layer Surface Line
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bityurin, V., Bocharov, A., Lineberry, J.: MHD Flow Control in Hypersonic Flight. AIAA Paper 2005-3225 (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Matsuda, A., Otsu, H., Kawamura, M., Konigorski, D., Takizawa, Y., Sato, S., Abe, T.: Physics of Fluids 20, 027102 (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Tanifuji, T., Wasai, K., Makino, H., Otsu, H., Furudate, M., Yamasakik, H., Konigorski, D., Abe, T.: AIAA Paper 2008-3789 (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Kawamura, M., Matsuda, A., Katsurayama, H., Otsu, H., Konigorski, D., Sato, S., Abe, T.: Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets 46(6) (November-December 2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Gülhan, A., Esser, B., Koch, U., Siebe, F., Riehmer, J., Giordano, D., Konigorski, D.: Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets 46(2) (March-April 2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Katsurayama, H., Abe, T., Otsu, H., Konigorski, D.: AIAA Paper 2007-4529 (2007)Google Scholar
- 14.Bityurin, V.A., Bocharov, A.N., Popov, N.: AIAA Paper 2010-4485 (2010)Google Scholar