As was shown in Sect. 3.4, spontaneous magnetization arises through exchange interactions. There are different detailed mechanisms of exchange interaction in solids. Classic expression of exchange energy is in common use in magnetism. This chapter introduces main theoretical models of the mechanisms and the classic expression, and contains the sections of Direct exchange interaction in solid; Superexchange interaction; RKKY exchange interaction; Double exchange interaction; and classic expression of exchange energy.
KeywordsExchange Interaction Neighbor Atom Classic Expression Superexchange Interaction Wannier Function
- 1.J.C. Slater, Phys. Rev. 36, 57 (1930)Google Scholar
- 2.D.R. Lide, Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 83rd edn. (CRC Press, Boca Raton, 2002–2003Google Scholar
- 3.P. W. Anderson, in solid state Physics, vol. 14, ed. by F. seitz, D. Tumbell (Academic press, New York, 1963) p.153Google Scholar
- 4.RKKY interaction, WikipediaGoogle Scholar
- 5.W.E. Wallace, Rare Earth Intermetallics (Academic press, New York, 1973)Google Scholar