A Service Model for Development and Test Clouds
A Development & Test Cloud (DTC) enables IT service enterprises to host standardized configurations of just about any tool-set on cloud – the hosted software need not be designed for multi-tenancy and they may come from a multitude of vendors. However, since most enterprise software are available only under perpetual licenses, DTCs cannot become truly pay-per-use – customers of a DTC have to upfront purchase software licenses. This paper proposes a service model for a DTC vendor wherein the vendor purchases software licenses and recovers the cost from its clients based on their period of usage. Our model allows the vendor to maximize returns from a purchased license by using it in multiple projects separated in time. We set up an optimization problem to decide how best a DTC operator can invest in buying software licenses such that it gets maximum opportunity to resale purchased licenses. We conduct empirical studies to validate the feasibility and usefulness of our approach. Also, we enlist characteristics of tool-sets that make them profitable for the DTC vendor.
KeywordsService Model Cloud Computing Environment Project Duration Shortage Cost Service Enterprise
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cacciari, C., D’Andria, F., Gozalo, M., Hagemeier, B., Mallmann, D., Martrat, J., Peréz, D., Rumpl, A., Ziegler, W., Zsigri, C.: Elasticlm: A Novel Approach for Software Licensing in Distributed Computing Infrastructures. In: 2nd IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing Technology and Science, pp. 67–74 (2010)Google Scholar
- 2.Dalheimer, M., Pfreundt, F.: GenLM: License Management for Grid and Cloud Computing Environments. In: 9th IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster Computing and the Grid, pp. 132–139 (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.IDC and Flexera. Inc. 2010 Key Trends in Software Pricing & Licensing Survey (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.MacVittie, L.: Cloud Computing’s Other Achilles’ Heel: Software Licensing (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Mukherjee, D., Gupta, M., Sinha, V.S., Zhou, N.: Development & Test Cloud: A Next Generation Service Delivery Platform. IBM Technical Report No. RI11007 (2011), http://domino.research.ibm.com/library/cyberdig.nsf/index.html
- 6.Silver, E., Pyke, D., Peterson, R., et al.: Inventory management and production planning and scheduling, vol. 2. Wiley, New York (1998)Google Scholar
- 7.Singh, A., Hung, E., Balepin, I., et al.: IBM Technology Adoption Program Cloud Sandbox Internal Pilot (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Dornemann, K., Freisleben, B.: Licensing the Use of Grid Services, Citeseer (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Dong, X., et al.: Floating License Sharing System in Grid Environment. In: 1st International Conference on Semantics, Knowledge and Grid, p. 96 (2005)Google Scholar