Automatic Localization of Pupil Using Histogram Thresholding and Region Based Mask Filter
This paper presents a novel approach for the automatic localization of pupil in which multiscale edge detection approach has been employed as a preprocessing step to efficiently localize the pupil followed by a new feature extraction technique which is based on a combination of some multiscale feature extraction techniques. Then pupil is localized using histogram thresholding and filter mask which looks for the region that has the highest probability of having pupil. Here some effort has given for the removal of the effect of hairs on eyelashes and eye brows by the help of a region based averaging filtering. The proposed method is tested on CASIA database. Experimental results show that this method is comparatively accurate.
KeywordsHistogram thresholding segmentation morphological operation mask filtering edge detection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Tian, Y., Kanade, T., Cohn, J.F.: Dual-state Parametric Eye Tracking. In: Proc. Of Int. Conf. Face and Gesture Recognition, pp. 110–115 (2000)Google Scholar
- 2.Cheung, R., Frecker, C.: Estimation of Ocular Torsion with Dynamic Changes in Pupil Size. In: Proc. of IEEE Eng. in Med. Bid. 16th Annu., vol. 2, pp. 924–925 (1994)Google Scholar
- 3.Kim, J., Park, K.: An image processing method for improved pupil size estimation accuracy. In: Proc. of the 25th Annual International Conference of the IEEE EMBS (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Kim, S.I., Lee, D.K., Kim, S.Y., Kwon, O.S., Cho, J.: An algorithm to Detect a Center of Pupil for Extraction of Point of Gaze. In: Proc. of the 26th Annual International Conference of the IEEE EMBS (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Ritter, N., Owens, R.A., Saarloos, P.P.V., Cooper, J.: Location of The Pupil-iris Border in Slit-lamp Images of The Cornea. ICIAP, 740–745 (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Kim, S.I., Lee, D.K., Kim, S.Y., Kwon, O.S., Cho, J.: An algorithm to detect a center of pupil for extraction of point of gaze. In: Proceedings of the 26th Annual International Conference of the IEEEE MBS (2004); Belcher, C., Du, Y.: Region-based SIFT approach to iris recognition. Optics and Lasers in Engineering 139–147 (2008) Google Scholar
- 11.Kim, J., Park, K.: An image processing method for improved pupil size estimation accuracy. In: Proceedings of the 25th Annual International Conference of the IEEEE MBS, vol. 2 (2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Cassin, B., Solomon, S.: Dictionary of eye terminology. Triad Publishing Company, Gainsville (1990)Google Scholar
- 13.Khan, T.M., Khan, M.A., Mallick, S.A., Khan, S.A., Bashir, T., Dar, A.H.: Automatic Locazation of pupil using eccentricity and iris using gradient based method. In: Optics and Lasers in Engg., vol. 49, pp. 177–187 (2011)Google Scholar
- 15.Kooshkestani, S., Pooyan, M., Sadjedi, H.: A New Method for Iris Recognition Systems Based on Fast Pupil Localization. In: Gervasi, O., Murgante, B., Laganà, A., Taniar, D., Mun, Y., Gavrilova, M.L. (eds.) ICCSA 2008, Part I. LNCS, vol. 5072, pp. 555–564. Springer, Heidelberg (2008)CrossRefGoogle Scholar