Character Recognition Using 2D View and Support Vector Machine
This paper proposes Handwritten Character Recognition method using 2D view and Support Vector Machine (SVM). In this all the character images are normalized using line density based nonlinear normalization, which are further used for feature extraction using two dimensional (2D) views. Each character is considered from five different views, and from each view 16 features are extracted and combined to obtain 80 features. Using these features, Radial Basis Function (RBF) of SVM classifier is trained to separate different classes of characters. Handwritten Character database is used for training and testing of SVM classifier. Support Vector Machine is promising recognition method, which is alternative to Neural Network (NN). Experiments show that the proposed method can provide a good recognition result using Support Vector Machines at a recognition rate 82.33%.
Keywords2D view Extra View SVM NN
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bombade, B.R., Santhi Thilagam, P.: Hanwritten Kannade Character Recognition System Using Support Vector Machine. NIT, KarnatakaGoogle Scholar
- 2.Burges, C.J.C.: A tutorial on support vector machines or pattern recognition. Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery, 121–167 (1998)Google Scholar
- 3.Duda, R.O., Hart, P.E., Stork, D.G.: Pattern Classification. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Arica, N.: An Offline Character Recognition system for free style Handwriting, MS. Department of Computer Engg. (September 1998)Google Scholar
- 5.Mak, G.: The implementation of Support Vector Machines using the sequential minimal optimization algorithm. Mc Gill University, Canada (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Zhao, B., Liu, Y., Xia, S.-W.: Support Vector Machine and its Application in Handwritten Numeral Recognition. Tsinghua University, BeijingGoogle Scholar
- 7.Deviraddy, S.K.: Handwritten Character Recognition using Back Propogation Network. JATIT (2005-2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Ali, S., Omari, A.: Digit Recognition using Neural Network. Journal of Computer Science (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Sadri, J., Suen, C.Y., Bui, T.D.: Application of Support Vector Machines for Recognition of Handwritten Arabic/Persian Digits. In: The 3rd Conference on Machine Vision, Image Processing and Applications, vol. 1, pp. 300–307 (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Hamdi, R., Bouchareb, F., Bedda, M.: Handwritten Arabic character recognition based on SVM Classifier. In: 3rd International Conference on Information and Communication Technologies: From Theory to Applications, pp. 1–4 (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.Dong, J.-X., Krzy¿ak, A., Suen, C.Y.: An improved handwritten Chinese character recognition system using support vector machine. Pattern Recognition Letters 26(12), 1849–1856 (2005)Google Scholar