Communities Unfolding in Multislice Networks
Discovering communities in complex networks helps to understand the behaviour of the network. Some works in this promising research area exist, but communities uncovering in time-dependent and/or multiplex networks has not deeply investigated yet. In this paper, we propose a communities detection approach for multislice networks based on modularity optimization. We first present a method to reduce the network size that still preserves modularity. Then we introduce an algorithm that approximates modularity optimization (as usually adopted) for multislice networks, thus finding communities. The network size reduction allows us to maintain acceptable performances without affecting the effectiveness of the proposed approach.
KeywordsGreedy Algorithm Community Detection Modularity Function Community Detection Algorithm Multiplex Network
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Asur, S., Parthasarathy, S., Ucar, D.: An event-based framework for characterizing the evolutionary behavior of interaction graphs. In: Proceedings of the 13th ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, KDD 2007, pp. 913–921. ACM, New York (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Blondel, V.D., Guillaume, J.-L., Lambiotte, R., Lefebvre, E.: Fast unfolding of communities in large networks. Journal of Statistical Mechanics: Theory and Experiment (10), 10008 (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Chakrabarti, D., Kumar, R., Tomkins, A.: Evolutionary clustering. In: Proceedings of the 12th ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, KDD 2006, pp. 554–560. ACM, New York (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Hopcroft, J., Khan, O., Kulis, B., Selman, B.: Tracking evolving communities in large linked networks. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 101, 5249–5253 (April 2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Kumar, R., Novak, J., Tomkins, A.: Structure and evolution of online social networks. In: Proceedings of the 12th ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, KDD 2006, pp. 611–617. ACM, New York (2006)Google Scholar
- 16.Palla, G., Barabsi, A.L., Vicsek, T., Hungary, B.: Quantifying social group evolution. Nature 446 (2007)Google Scholar