The growing mobile phone penetration in developed countries is often accompanied by a downward trend in landline telephone coverage. An increasing number of households give up their landline telephones and rely merely on their mobile phones while others choose not to install a landline phone when moving to a new home. Portugal is no different from this trend.
Mobile phones are invading practically all aspects of modern life and sample surveys are no exception. Either used exclusively or in combination with a landline phone, the mobile phone has potential for survey work.
KeywordsMobile Phone Telephone Survey Landline Telephone Survey Company Mobile Phone Number
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Apodemo: Quem somos (about us) (2010), http://www.apodemo.pt/.qsomos.html (accessed July 5, 2010)
- Anacom: Serviço telefónico fixo – 1º trimestre 2010 (fixed telephone service - 1st quarter 2010) (2010a), http://www.anacom.pt/render.jsp?contentId=1031502 (accessed July 1, 2010)
- Anacom: Serviços móveis - 1º trimestre 2010 (mobile service - 1st quarter 2010) (2010b), http://www.anacom.pt/render.jsp?contentId=1028809 (accessed July 1, 2010)
- Cardoso, G., Gomes, M.C., Espanha, R., Araújo, V.: Portugal móvel - utilização do telemóvel e transformação da vida social, Research Report. Observatório da Comunicação (Mobile Portugal - mobile phone use and transformation of social life, Research Report. Communication Observatory) (2007)Google Scholar
- EU Statistics. Eurobarometer 68.2 wave November 2007-January 2008, European Commission, Brussels (2008)Google Scholar
- Groves, M., Biemer, P., Lyberg, L., Massey, J., Nicolls, W., Waksberg, J.: Telephone survey methodology. John Wiley and Sons, New York (2001)Google Scholar
- ICC/ESOMAR, International code on market and social research (2007), http://www.esomar.org/index.php/codes-guidelines.html (acessed July 5, 2010)
- ICC/ESOMAR. Conduction survey research via mobile phone (2010), http://www.esomar.org/index.php/codes-guidelines.html (accessed September 29, 2010)
- OECD (Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development). Cellular mobile pricing structures and trends (May 19, 2000), http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/54/42/2538118.pdf (accessed March 5, 2009)
- Statistics Portugal, Indicadores sociais de. 1999 Statistics Portugal (2001)Google Scholar
- Statistics Portugal, Indicadores sociais de. 2008 Statistics Portugal (2009)Google Scholar
- Vicente, P., Reis, E.: Telephone surveys using mobile phones: an analysis of response rates, survey procedures and respondents’ characteristics. Australasian Journal of Market and Social Research 17(2), 49–56 (2009)Google Scholar
- Vicente, P., Reis, E.: Telephone surveys in Portugal: the coverage error evaluation. In: Paper Presented at the XVIII Congress of the Portuguese Statistics Society, Termas de S. Pedro do Sul, September 29 - October 2 (2010a)Google Scholar
- Vicente, P., Reis, E.: Who is missing from mobile phone surveys? An analysis of European countries. International Journal of Mobile Marketing 4 (2010b)Google Scholar
- Vicente, P., Reis, E.: Mobile phone surveys: a Portuguese case. Portuguese Journal of Marketing 26 (2011)Google Scholar