Entropy-Based Indicator for Predicting Stock Price Trend Reversal
Predicting changes of stock price long term trend is an important problem for validating strategies of investment to the financial instruments. In this article we applied the approach of analysis of information efficiency and long term correlation memory in order to distinguish short term changes in trend, which can be evaluated as informational ‘nervousness’, from the reversal point of long term trend of the financial time series. By integrating two econometrical measures of information efficiency - Shannon’s entropy (SH) and local Hurst exponent (HE) - we designed aggregated entropy-based (EB) indicator and explored its ability to forecast the turning point of trend of the financial time series and to calibrate the stock market trading strategy.
KeywordsShannon entropy informational efficiency financial market local Hurst exponent stock price
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Qian, B., Rasheed, K.: Hurst exponent and financial market predictability. In: IASTED Conference on Financial Engineering and Applications, pp. 203–209 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Danilenko, S.: Hurst Analysis of Baltic Sector Indices. In: Applied Stochastic Models and Data Analysis (ASMDA 2009), Vilnius, pp. 329–333 (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Cover, T., Thomas, J.: Elements of Information Theory. Wiley ed. (1991)Google Scholar
- 11.Sakalauskas, V., Kriksciuniene, D.: Evolution in information efficiency in emerging markets. In: Advances in Intelligent and Soft Computing: Soft Computing Models in Industrial and Environmental Applications: 6th IC SOCO 2011, pp. 367–377. Springer, Heidelberg (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Hurst, H.E.: Long-term storage of reservoirs: an experimental study. Transactions of the American society of civil engineers 116, 770–799 (1951)Google Scholar
- 13.Peng, C., Buldyrev, S., Havlin, S., Simons, M., Stanley, H., Goldberger, A.: Mosaic organization of dna nucleotides. Physical Review E 49(2) (1994)Google Scholar
- 14.Guide to Baltic Market (2010), http://www.nasdaqomxbaltic.com/files/baltic/NASDAQ_OMX_Baltic_10.pdf