Optimization of Parameterized Compactly Supported Orthogonal Wavelets for Data Compression
In this work we review the parameterization of filter coefficients of compactly supported orthogonal wavelets used to implement the discrete wavelet transform. We also present the design of wavelet based filters as a constrained optimization problem where a genetic algorithm can be used to improve the compression ratio on gray scale images by minimizing their entropy and we develop a quasi-perfect reconstruction scheme for images. Our experimental results report a significant improvement over previous works and they motivate us to explore other kinds of perfect reconstruction filters based on parameterized tight frames.
KeywordsWavelets parameterization optimization data compression entropy genetic algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Hereford, J.M., Roach, D.D.W., Pigford, R.: Image compression using parameterized wavelets with feedback. In: Proc. of SPIE, vol. 5102, pp. 267–277 (April 2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Wells, R.O.: Parametrizing smooth compactly supported wavelets. Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 338(2) (August 1993)Google Scholar
- 11.Ming-Jun, L., Roach, W.: Parameterization of univariate orthogonal wavelets with short support. Aproximation theory X, Vanderbilt Univ. Press (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Mallat, S.: A wavelet tour of signal processing. Academic Press Inc. (1998)Google Scholar
- 13.Walker, J.: A primer on wavelets and their scientific applications, 2nd edn. Chapman Hall/CRC, Taylor and Francis Group (2008)Google Scholar
- 15.Kuri, A.: A Comprehensive Approcah to Genetic Algorithms in Optimization and Learning. National Polytechnic Institute, Mexico (1999)Google Scholar
- 19.Pennebaker, W., Mitchell, J.: JPEG: Still Image Data Compression Standard. Springer, Heidelberg (1992)Google Scholar