Autonomous Systems Behaviour
Autonomous machines have fascinated people for millennia. The Ancient Greeks told of Talos, the Man of Bronze, whose supposedly mythical existence has been given unexpected credence by the recent discovery of the Antikythera Mechanism. Could the Greeks really have created a giant mechanical man to protect Europa in Crete against pirates and invaders? Long before that, the Ancient Egyptians created the Great Pyramid of Khufu as an autonomous psychic machine to project the soul (ka) of the King to the heavens where he was charged with negotiating good Inundations with the heavenly gods.
KeywordsTacit Knowledge Situation Awareness World Model Mission Management Land Vehicle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hitchins, D.K.: Getting to Grips with Complexity... A Theory of Everything Else (2000), http://www.hitchins.net/ASE_Book.html
- 2.Hitchins, D.K.: Design Feasibility Study for an Autonomous Peace Officer. In: IET Autonomous Systems Conference (2007), http://www.hitchins.net/Systems%20Design%20/AutonomousPeaceOfficer.pdf
- 3.Klein, G.A.: Recognition-Primed Decisions. In: Advances in Man-Machine Research, vol. 5. JAI Press (1989)Google Scholar
- 4.Hitchins, D.K.: Advanced Systems Thinking, Engineering and Management. Artech House, Boston (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Jung, C.G.: The Portable Jung. Penguin Books (1976)Google Scholar
- 6.Polanyi, M.: Tacit Knowing. Doubleday & Co. (1966) (1983); reprinted : ch.1. Peter Smith, GloucesterGoogle Scholar
- 7.Rizzolati, G., Fogassi, L., Gallese, V.: Mirrors in the Mind. Scientific American 295(5) (November 2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Hitchins, D.K.: Systems Engineering: A 21st Century Systems Methodology, pp. 124–142. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Hitchins, D.K.: Systems Engineering: A 21st Century Systems Methodology, pp. 313–348. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Koch, C., Tononi, G.: A Test for Consciousness. Scientific American 304(6) (June 2011)Google Scholar