Visualization and Haptics for Interactive Medical Image Analysis: Image Segmentation in Cranio-Maxillofacial Surgery Planning
A central problem in cranio-maxillofacial (CMF) surgery is to restore the normal anatomy of the skeleton after defects, e.g., trauma to the face. With careful pre-operative planning, the precision and predictability of the craniofacial reconstruction can be significantly improved. In addition, morbidity can be reduced thanks to shorter operation time. An important component in surgery planning is to be able to accurately measure the extent of anatomical structures. Of particular interest are the shape and volume of the orbits (eye sockets). These properties can be measured in 3D CT images of the skull, provided that an accurate segmentation of the orbits is available. Here, we present a system for interactive segmentation of the orbit in CT images. The system utilizes 3D visualization and haptic feedback to facilitate efficient exploration and manipulation of 3D data.
KeywordsCompute Tomography Image Manual Segmentation Haptic Feedback Haptic Device Deformable Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Nyström, I., Malmberg, F., Vidholm, E., Bengtsson, E.: Segmentation and Visualization of 3D Medical Images through Haptic Rendering. In: Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Pattern Recognition and Information Proceeding (PRIP 2009), pp. 43–48. Publishing Center of BSU (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.SensAble Technologies: SensAble (2011), http://www.sensable.com (accessed on April 27, 2011 )
- 8.SenseGraphics AB: H3D API (2011), http://www.h3dapi.org (accessed on April 27, 2011)
- 10.Udupa, J.K., Herman, G.T. (eds.): 3D Imaging in Medicine, 2nd edn. CRC Press, Inc. (2000)Google Scholar
- 12.Vidholm, E.: Visualization and Haptics for Interactive Medical I age Analysis. Ph.D. thesis, Uppsala University (2008) Google Scholar
- 13.Web3D Consortium: X3D (2011), http://www.web3d.org/x3d/ (accessed on April 27, 2011)