The Institute of Nuclear Medicine grew out of the success of the Department of Physics Applied to Medicine here. That department was from 1912 housed in the Barnato-Joel Laboratories and has Sidney Russ, a pioneer in medical applications of ionizing radiation, as its head. He became Joel Professor of Physics in 1920, being the first Professor of Medical Physics in the world. In 1946 Professor J.E. Roberts succeeded him and at once saw that the long tradition of specialization in radiation physics could be extended by exploiting for medical use the artificial radioactive isotopes of elements which were at that time beginning to be available as a by-product of fission in nuclear reactors.
KeywordsRadiotherapy Department Middlesex Hospital Separate Department Cancer Research Campaign Nuffield Foundation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.