Modeling Berry’s Phase in Graphene by Using a Quantum Kinetic Approach
The influence of Barry’s phase on the particle motion in graphene is analyzed by means of a quantum phase-space approach. Our procedure is based on a reformulation of the Wigner formalism where the multiband particle-hole dynamics is described in terms of the Berry curvature. The emergence of some adiabatic parameters for the description of the quasi-classical trajectories in the presence of an external electric field is also discussed.
KeywordsWigner Function Dirac Point Quantum Hall Effect Berry Phase Integer Quantum Hall Effect
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Beenakker, C.W.J.: Colloquium: Andreev reflection and Klein tunneling in graphene. Rev. Mod. Phys. 80(4), 1337–1354 (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Bohm, A., Mostafazadeh, A., Koizumi, H., Niu, Q., Zwanziger, J.: The Geometric Phase in Quantum Systems: Foundations, Mathematical Concepts, and Applications in Molecular and Condensed Matter Physics. Sringer, Berlin (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Castro Neto, A.H., Guinea, F., Peres, N.M.R., Novoselov, K.S., Geim, A.K.: The electronic properties of graphene. Rev. Mod. Phys. 81(1), 109–162 (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Markowich, P.A., Ringhofer, C.A., Schmeiser, C.: Semiconductor Equations, vol. 8. Springer, Berlin (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Morozov, S.V., Novoselov, K.S., Katsnelson, M.I., Schedin, F., Ponomarenko, L.A., Jiang, D., Geim, A.K.: Strong suppression of weak localization in graphene. Phys. Rev. Lett. 97(1), 016,801 (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Novikov, D.S.: Elastic scattering theory and transport in graphene. Phys. Rev. B 76(24), 245–435 (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Zhang, Y., Tan, Y., Stormer, H.L., Kim, P.: Experimental observation of the quantum Hall effect and Berry’s phase in graphene. Nature 438, 201–204 (2005)Google Scholar