When Should Preoperative Short-Course Radiotherapy or Long-Course Chemoradiotherapy Be Performed?
Traditionally, there has been a high local recurrence rate after radical surgery in rectal cancer, and 10–40% of patients require a permanent stoma. Both short-course preoperative radiotherapy (SCPRT) and long-course preoperative chemoradiation (CRT) are advocated to reduce this risk of local recurrence and enable a curative resection. The role of preoperative radiotherapy to facilitate sphincter sparing surgery remains highly contentious.
KeywordsRectal Cancer Total Mesorectal Excision Late Toxicity Circumferential Resection Margin Mesorectal Fascia
- 1.Swedish Rectal Cancer Trial (1997) Improved survival with preoperative radiotherapy in resectable rectal cancer. Swedish Rectal Cancer Trial. N Engl J Med 336(14):980–987Google Scholar
- 3.Sebag-Montefiore D, Stephens RJ, Steele R, Monson J, Grieve R, Khanna S et al (2009) Preoperative radiotherapy versus selective postoperative chemoradiotherapy in patients with rectal cancer (MRC CR07 and NCIC-CTG C016): a multicentre, randomised trial. Lancet 373(9666):811–820PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Valentini V, van Stiphout RG, Lammering G, Gambacorta MA, Barba MC, Bebenek M et al (2011) Nomograms for predicting local recurrence, distant metastases, and overall survival for patients with locally advanced rectal cancer on the basis of European randomized clinical trials. J Clin Oncol 29(23):3163–3172PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Bujko K, Nowacki MP, Nasierowska-Guttmejer A, Michalski W, Bebenek M, Kryj M (2006) Long-term results of a randomized trial comparing preoperative short-course radiotherapy with preoperative conventionally fractionated chemoradiation for rectal cancer. Br J Surg 93(10):1215–1223PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Stephens RJ, Thompson LC, Quirke P, Steele R, Grieve R, Couture J et al (2010) Impact of short-course preoperative radiotherapy for rectal cancer on patients’ quality of life: data from the medical research council CR07/National Cancer Institute of Canada Clinical Trials Group C016 randomized clinical trial. J Clin Oncol 28(27):4233–4239PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar