Struggle for Temporal Predictability of Processors for Real-Time Environments, Revisited 20 Years after
In this contribution, a short overview of our early collaboration with Prof. Halang is given. Our joint research is briefly described and some results presented. First, prerequisite considerations are given, then the asymmetrical architecture exhibiting a dedicated processor for operating system kernel functions is outlined. Its design is further elaborated, divided in several parts. Then, an early implementation with microcontrollers and a dedicated processor for parallel architectures is shown, together with the programming constructs supporting tasking and temporal operations. It is interesting that the main ideas are still actual and are open to further elaboration with the modern technology, especially because the fully predictable processors for embedded applications are still not available.
KeywordsFPGA Implementation Data Processing Unit Embed Application Control Engineer Practice Temporal Predictability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Colnaric, M., Verber, D., Halang, W.A.: Distributed embedded control systems: improving dependability with coherent design. In: Advances in Industrial Control. Spinger, London (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Colnarič, M.: Predictability of temporal behaviour of hard real-time systems. Ph.D. thesis, University of Maribor (1992)Google Scholar
- 4.Colnarič, M., Halang, W.A.: Exception handling and predictability in hard real-time systems. In: Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Computer Safety, Reliability and Security SAFECOMP 1993, Poznań – Kiekrz, Poland. Springer, Heidelberg (1993); ISBN: 0-387-19838-5Google Scholar
- 8.Gumzej, R.: Vzporedno načrtovanje arhitekture vgrajenih sistemov in njena validacija (parallel design of architecture of embedded systems and its validation, in slovene). Ph.D. thesis, University of Maribor (1999)Google Scholar
- 9.Halang, W.A.: Definition of an auxiliary processor dedicated to real– time operating system kernels. Tech. Rep. UILU-ENG-88-2228 CSG-87, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign (1988)Google Scholar
- 12.Verber, D.: Object orientation in hard real-time system development. Ph.D. thesis, University of Maribor, Slovenia (1999)Google Scholar
- 13.Verber, D.: Co-processor for microkernel os services. In: Proceedings of the IFAC World Congress, IFAC, Milan, Italy (2011)Google Scholar