Performance Analysis of Preemption-Aware Scheduling in Multi-cluster Grid Environments
In multi-cluster Grids each cluster serves requests from external (Grid) users along with their own local users. The problem arises when there is not sufficient resources for local users (which have high priority) to be served urgently. This problem could be solved by preempting resources from Grid users and allocating them to the local users. However, resource preemption entails decreasing resource utilization and increasing Grid users’ response time. The question is that how we can minimize the number of preemptions taking place in a resource sharing environment. In this paper, we propose a preemption-aware scheduling policy based on the queuing theory for a virtualized multi-cluster Grid where the number of preemptions is minimized. Simulation results indicate that the proposed scheduling policy significantly decreases the number of virtual machine (VM) preemptions (up to 22.5%).
KeywordsVirtual Machine Service Time Arrival Rate Schedule Policy Local User
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Amini Salehi, M., Javadi, B., Buyya, R.: Resource provisioning based on leases preemption in intergrid. In: Proceeding of the 34th Australasian Computer Science Conference (ACSC 2011), Perth, Australia, pp. 25–34 (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.de Assunção, M.D., Buyya, R.: Performance analysis of multiple site resource provisioning: Effects of the precision of availability information. In: Sadayappan, P., Parashar, M., Badrinath, R., Prasanna, V.K. (eds.) HiPC 2008. LNCS, vol. 5374, pp. 157–168. Springer, Heidelberg (2008)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Sodan, A.: Service control with the preemptive parallel job scheduler scojo-pect. Journal of Cluster Computing, 1–18 (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Sotomayor, B., Keahey, K., Foster, I.: Combining batch execution and leasing using virtual machines. In: Proceedings of the 17th International Symposium on High Performance Distributed Computing, New York, NY, USA, pp. 87–96 (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Zhao, M., Figueiredo, R.: Experimental study of virtual machine migration in support of reservation of cluster resources. In: Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Virtualization Technology in Distributed Computing, pp. 5–11. ACM, New York (2007)Google Scholar