On Fitting a Formal Method into Practice
The development of the Event-B formal method and the supporting tools Rodin and ProB was guided by practical experiences with the B-Method, the Z specification notation, VDM and similar practical formal methods. The case study discussed in this article — a cruise control system — is a serious test of industrial use. We report on where Event-B and its tools have succeeded, where they have not. We also report on advances that were inspired by the case study. Interestingly, the case study was not a pure formal methods problem. In addition to Event-B, it used Problem Frames for capturing requirements. The interaction between the two proved to be crucial for the success of the case study. The heart of the problem was tracing informal requirements from Problem Frames descriptions to formal Event-B models. To a large degree, this issue dictated the approach that had to be used for formal modelling. A dedicated record theory and dedicated tool support were required. The size of the formal models rather than complex individual formulas was the main challenge for tool support.
KeywordsModel Check Proof Obligation Problem Frame Target Speed Brake Pedal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Edmunds, A., Butler, M.J.: Tool support for Event-B code generation (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Hallerstede, S., Leuschel, M.: Constraint-Based Deadlock Checking of High-Level Specifications. In: Proceedings ICLP 2011 (to appear, 2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Iliasov, A.: On Event-B and Control Flow. Technical Report CS-TR-1159, University of Newcastle (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Jackson, M.: Problem Frames: Analyzing and structuring software development problems. Addison-Wesley Longman Publishing Co., Inc., Amsterdam (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Jones, C.B.: DEPLOY Deliverable D15: Advances in Methodological WPsGoogle Scholar
- 13.Loesch, F., Gmehlich, R., Grau, K., Jones, C.B., Mazzara, M.: DEPLOY Deliverable D19: Pilot Deployment in the Automotive SectorGoogle Scholar
- 16.Yeganefard, S., Butler, M.J., Rezazadeh, A.: Evaluation of a Guideline by Formal Modelling of Cruise Control System in Event-B. In: Muñoz, C. (ed.) NFM 2010, NASA/CP-2010-216215 (April 2010)Google Scholar