Applications of Fiber Bragg Grating Sensors
The basic concepts and fabrication of optical FBG-based strain, directional force or pressure, and shear force sensors have been presented in Chapter 11. It is noted that the response to external stimulus is non-linear when direct sensing technique is applied to the FBG. However, excellent linearity and larger sensing range are observed with indirect sensing technique, where the FBG is embedded within layers of composite materials. In this Chapter, the applications of these FBG-based sensors are covered.
KeywordsForce Sensor Concrete Beam Reinforce Concrete Beam Fiber Bragg Grating Sensor Bragg Wavelength
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Basil, H. and Wilson, D. (1988). The foot, UK, Longmann.Google Scholar
- Hao, J. (2001). “Design and Fabrication of a fiber optic pressure sensor”, Ph.D. Thesis, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.Google Scholar
- Hao, J.Z., Tan, K.M., Tjin, S.C., Liaw, C.Y., Chaudhuri, P.R., Guo, X. and Lu, C. (2003). “Design of a foot-pressure monitoring transducer for diabetic patients based on FBG sensors”, Lasers and Electro-Optics Society, LEOS 2003, The 16th Annual Meeting of the IEEE, 27–28 October: 23–24.Google Scholar
- Jensen, D.W. and Koharchik, M.J. (1991). “Cyclic loading of compositeembedded fiber-optic strain sensors”, Proceedings of Spring Conference Society of Experimental Mechanics, Milwaukee, Wiscosin, 233–238.Google Scholar
- Peiyu, L., Tan, D., Liu, D., Liu, G. and Ying, M. (2005). “Six component force sensor and its calibration system”, China Mechanical Engineering, 16: 1523–1526.Google Scholar
- Suresh, R. and Tjin, S.C. (2005b). “Application of fiber Bragg grating for multi component force measurement”, Proceeding of the Fourth International Conference on Smart Materials, Structures and Systems, July 28–30, Banglore, India, SD-10: 70–76.Google Scholar
- Tjin, S.C., Suresh, R. and Bhalla, S. (2009). “Simultaneous and independent measurement of pressure and temperature”, International Journal of COMADEM, 12.Google Scholar
- Wang, Y., Tjin, S.C., Hao, J.Z., Lim, T.K., Tan, K.B., Chan, K.M., Moyo, P. and Brownjohn, J.M.W. (2000). “Determination of load-strain characteristics of concrete slabs by using embedded fiber Bragg grating sensors”, Proceedings of SPIE International Symposium on Applied Photonics, 22–25 May, Glasgow, UK.Google Scholar