Algorithmic Debugging to Support Cognitive Diagnosis in Tutoring Systems
Cognitive modelling in intelligent tutoring systems aims at identifying a learner’s skills and knowledge from his answers to tutor questions and other observed behaviour. In this paper, we propose an innovative variant of Shapiro’s algorithmic debugging technique whose application can be used to pin-point learners’ erroneous behaviour in terms of an irreducible disagreement to the execution trace of an expert model. Our variant has two major benefits: in contrast to traditional approaches, it does not rely on an explicit encoding on mal-rules, and second, it induces a natural teacher-learner dialogue with no need for the prior scripting of individial turns or higher-level dialogue planning.
KeywordsLogic Programming Execution Trace Expert Model Prolog Program Irreducible Disagreement
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Beller, S., Hoppe, U.: Deductive error reconstruction and classification in a logic programming framework. In: Brna, P., Ohlsson, S., Pain, H. (eds.) Proc. of the World Conference on Artificial Intelligence in Education, pp. 433–440 (1993)Google Scholar
- 3.Burton, R.R.: Debuggy: Diagnosis of errors in basic mathematical skills. In: Sherman, D., Brown, J.S. (eds.) Intelligent Tutoring Systems. Academic Press, London (1982)Google Scholar
- 4.Corbett, A.T., Anderson, J.R., Patterson, E.J.: Problem compilation and tutoring flexibility in the lisp tutor. In: International Conference of Intelligent Tutoring Systems, Montreal (1988)Google Scholar
- 6.Koedinger, K.R., Anderson, J.R., Hadley, W.H., Mark, M.A.: Intelligent tutoring goes to school in the big city. Journal of Artificial Intelligence in Education 8(1), 30–43 (1997)Google Scholar
- 7.Reiser, B.J., Anderson, J.R., Farrell, R.G.: Dynamic student modelling in an intelligent tutor for lisp programming. In: IJCAI 1985: Proceedings of the 9th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, pp. 8–14. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers Inc., San Francisco (1985)Google Scholar
- 9.Shapiro, E.Y.: Algorithmic Program Debugging. ACM Distinguished Dissertations. MIT Press (1983); Thesis (Ph.D.) – Yale University (1982)Google Scholar