Shape Retrieval with Qualitative Relations: The Influence of Part-Order and Approximation Precision on Retrieval Performance and Computational Effort
Manifold approaches exist in the field of similarity-based shape retrieval. Although many of them achieve good results in reference tests, there has been less focus on systematically examining the factors influencing both retrieval performance and computational effort. Such an investigation, however, is important for the structured development and improvement of shape descriptors. This paper contributes a thorough investigation of the influence of the shape part-order and approximation precision. Firstly, two shape descriptors based on qualitative spatial relations are introduced and evaluated. These descriptors are particularly suited for the intended investigation because their only distinction is that one of them preserves the part-order, the other abandons it. Secondly, the recall and precision values are related to the degree of approximation in three-dimensional recall-precision-approximation diagrams. This helps choose an appropriate approximation precision. Finally, it turns out that remarkable retrieval results can be achieved even if only qualitative position information is considered.
KeywordsShape Descriptor Retrieval Performance Approximation Precision Contour Point Double Cross
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Fabisch, A., Laue, T., Röfer, T.: Robot Recognition and Modeling in the RoboCup Standard Platform League. In: Humanoids 2010, Nashville, TN, USA (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Latecki, L.J., Lakämper, R., Eckhardt, U.: Shape Descriptors for Non-rigid Shapes with a Single Closed Contour. In: CVPR 2000, pp. 424–429. IEEE Computer Society, Hilton Head Island (2000)Google Scholar
- 11.McNeill, G., Vijayakumar, S.: 2D Shape Classification and Retrieval. In: IJCAI 2005, pp. 1483–1488. Professional Book Center, Edinburgh (2005)Google Scholar
- 13.Mokhtarian, F., Abbasi, S., Kittler, J.: Robust and Efficient Shape Indexing through Curvature Scale Space. In: BMVC 1996, pp. 53–62. British Machine Vision Association, Edinburgh (1996)Google Scholar
- 15.Schuldt, A., Gottfried, B., Osterhagen, O., Herzog, O.: On the Importance of Preserving the Part-Order in Shape Retrieval. In: SIGIR 2007, pp. 771–772. ACM Press, Amsterdam (2007)Google Scholar
- 16.Steger, C.: On the Calculation of Arbitrary Moments of Polygons. Technical Report FGBV-96-05, Informatik IX, Technische Universität München (1996)Google Scholar