T1 Mapping, AIF and Pharmacokinetic Parameter Extraction from Dynamic Contrast Enhancement MRI Data
Dynamic contrast enhanced (DCE) magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a sensitive, noninvasive technique for the assessment of microvascular properties of the tissue. Quantitative physiological parameters can be obtained using pharmacokinetic (PK) models that track contrast agents as it passes through the tissue vasculature. Such analysis usually requires prior knowledge of the voxels’ T 1 values and of the Arterial Input Function (AIF). Therefore, relaxometry T 1 measurements are usually performed prior to contrast-agent injection and the AIF is manually or automatically extracted from the dynamic data. In this study, a method for a fully automatic analysis of DCE data for joint PK parameters, T 1 mapping and AIF extraction is proposed. Results are shown on simulated data compared to other methods and on data acquired from healthy subjects and patients with Glioblastoma who received anti-angiogenic therapy. The proposed method renders DCE analysis to be robust and easily applicable.
KeywordsSignal Ratio Arterial Input Function Contrast Agent Concentration Dynamic Contrast Enhance Dynamic Contrast Enhancement
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Fletcher, R.: A modified Marquardt subroutine for nonlinear least squares. Atom. Res. Est. AERE-R6799 (1971)Google Scholar
- 6.Bouman, C. A., Shapiro, M., Cook, G. W., Atkins, C. B., Cheng, H.: Cluster: An unsupervised algorithm for modeling gaussian mixtures, https://engineering.purdue.edu/~bouman/
- 7.Parker, G.J., Roberts, C., Macdonald, A., Buonaccorsi, G.A., Cheung, S., Buckley, D.L., Jackson, A., Watson, Y., Davies, K., Jayson, G.C.: Experimentally-derived functional form for a population-averaged high-temporal-resolution arterial input function for dynamic contrast-enhanced MRI. Mag. Res. Med. 56, 993–1000 (2006)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Tofts, P.S., Kermode, A.G.: Measurement of the blood-brain barrier permeability and leakage space using dynamic MR imaging. 1. Fundamental concepts. Mag. Res. Med. 17, 357–367 (1991)Google Scholar
- 10.Tofts, P.S., Brix, G., Buckley, D.L., Evelhoch, J.L., Henderson, E., Knopp, M.V., Larsson, H.B., Lee, T.-Y., Mayr, N.A., Parker, G.J., Port, R.E., Taylor, J., Weisskoff, R.M.: Estimating kinetic parameters from dynamic contrast-enhanced t1-weighted MRI of a diffusable tracer: Standardized quantities and symbols. J. Mag. Res. Imag. 10, 223–232 (1999)CrossRefGoogle Scholar