Improving Reachability Analysis of Infinite State Systems by Specialization
We consider infinite state reactive systems specified by using linear constraints over the integers, and we address the problem of verifying safety properties of these systems by applying reachability analysis techniques. We propose a method based on program specialization, which improves the effectiveness of the backward and forward reachability analyses. For backward reachability our method consists in: (i) specializing the reactive system with respect to the initial states, and then (ii) applying to the specialized system a reachability analysis that works backwards from the unsafe states. For forward reachability our method works as for backward reachability, except that the role of the initial states and the unsafe states are interchanged. We have implemented our method using the MAP transformation system and the ALV verification system. Through various experiments performed on several infinite state systems, we have shown that our specialization-based verification technique considerably increases the number of successful verifications without significantly degrading the time performance.
KeywordsSpecialization Algorithm Generalization Operator Abstract Interpretation Reachability Analysis Constraint Logic Programming
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Clarke, E.M., Grumberg, O., Peled, D.: Model Checking. MIT Press, Cambridge (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Cousot, P., Cousot, R.: Abstract interpretation: A unified lattice model for static analysis of programs by construction of approximation of fixpoints. In: Proc. POPL 1977, pp. 238–252. ACM Press, New York (1977)Google Scholar
- 12.Fioravanti, F., Pettorossi, A., Proietti, M.: Verifying CTL properties of infinite state systems by specializing constraint logic programs. In: Proc. VCL 2001, Tech. Rep. DSSE-TR-2001-3, pp. 85–96. Univ. of Southampton, UK (2001)Google Scholar
- 17.Henzinger, T.A.: The theory of hybrid automata. In: Proc., LICS 1996, pp. 278–292 (1996)Google Scholar
- 20.LASH homepage, http://www.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~boigelot/research/lash
- 22.MAP homepage, http://www.iasi.cnr.it/~proietti/system.html