Optimization of Infectious Medical Waste Collection Using RFID
In this paper we consider the collection of infectious medical waste, produced by patients in self-treatment and stored at pharmacies. The problem is formulated as a collector-managed inventory routing problem, encompassing stochastic aspects, which are common in such problems. Social objectives, specifically the satisfaction of pharmacists and the local authority, as well as the minimization of public health risks, are considered for the real-world motivated inventory routing problem. To optimize the planning process for a predefined time horizon, we take advantage of radio frequency identification technologies. We design a tabu search based algorithm to optimize the determination of visit dates and corresponding vehicle routes. The suggested approach is tested on real-world data from the region of Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur, in France. The results for different waste collection scenarios are analyzed and compared in order to evaluate the performance of the proposed solution method.
KeywordsTabu Search Travel Salesman Problem Inventory Level Penalty Cost Inventory Cost
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Campbell, A., Clarke, L., Kleywegt, A., Savelsbergh, M.: The inventory routing problem. Fleet Management and Logistics, 95–113 (1998)Google Scholar
- 5.Campbell, A., Clarke, L., Savelsbergh, M.: Inventory routing in practice. In: Toth, P., Vigo, D. (eds.) The vehicle routing problem. SIAM Monographes on Discrete Mathematics and Applications, pp. 309–330 (2002)Google Scholar
- 16.Laporte, G., Louveaux, F.: Solving stochastic routing problems with the integer L-shaped method. In: Crainic, T.G., Laporte, G. (eds.) Fleet Management and Logistics, pp. 159–167. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht (1996)Google Scholar
- 17.Le Blanc, H.M., Van Krieken, M.G.C., Fleuren, H., Krikke, H.R.: Collector managed inventory, a proactive planning approach to the collection of liquids coming from end-of-life vehicles. Technical report (2004)Google Scholar
- 25.Solyali, O., Cordeau, J.F., Laporte, G.: Robust Inventory Routing under Demand Uncertainty. Technical report (2010)Google Scholar