The Single-Stage Location-Routing Problem with Time Windows
The well-known capacitated facility location problem (CFLP) and the vehicle routing problem with time windows (VRPTW) have been studied intensively over the last decades. In most distribution systems, depot location and routing decisions are implemented independently. Low-quality solutions are obtained if a sequential method, e.g., locate depots first and plan routes second, is used. In location-routing problems (LRP), location and routing are solved simultaneously. Here, our goal is to combine the CFLP and the VRPTW into a single-stage LRP with time windows (SSLRPTW), which covers more realistic aspects, especially time aspects, of many real problems. In order to efficiently solve the SSLRPTW for large-scale instances, a tabu search heuristic is proposed. This method outperforms the used sequential method.
KeywordsTime Window Tabu Search Monetary Unit Open Depot Quantity Unit
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Extended VRPTW Solomon benchmark, http://www.fernuni-hagen.de/WINF/touren/inhalte/probinst.htm
- 13.Lischak, C.: Standortplanung für einen privaten Paketdienstleister. Ph.D. thesis, RWTH Aachen University (2001)Google Scholar
- 18.Or, I.: Traveling salesman-type combinatorial problems and their relation to the logistics of regional blood banking. Ph.D. thesis, Northwestern University (1976)Google Scholar
- 19.Perl, J., Daskin, M.S.: A unified warehouse location-routing methodology. Journal of Business Logistics 5(1), 92–111 (1984)Google Scholar
- 24.Toth, P., Vigo, D. (eds.): The vehicle routing problem. SIAM Monographs on Discrete Mathematics and Applications. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, Philadelphia (2002)Google Scholar
- 26.Wasner, M., Zäpfner, G.: An integrated multi-depot hub-location vehicle routing model for network planning of parcel service. Operations Research Letters 20, 403–419 (2004)Google Scholar