A Three-Level Hierarchical Workload Management Scheme for Yard Cranes in Container Terminals
We propose a three-level, hierarchical scheme for yard crane (YC) workload management in container terminals. Level 1 distributes YCs among different rows in the storage yard at suitable times based on predicted future workload. This is done a few times during a shift of 8 hours. Level 2 dispatches YCs to work in various non-overlapping working zones in each row for the time window in between two rounds of YC re-distributions at Level 1. Level 3 determines the serving sequences of vehicle jobs for an YC in a working zone over a period of time (e.g., a sub-planning window). The algorithms for levels 2 and 3 have been published elsewhere. This paper proposes the proportional distribution and the uniform distribution strategies for YC deployment at level 1. We compare the performance of the three-level hierarchical scheme in terms of average job waiting times and the average number of overflow jobs at the end of each planning window under the two distribution strategies.
KeywordsContainer Terminal Quay Crane Mixed Integer Programming Model Space Partition Partition Plan
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Guo, X., Huang, S.: Performing A* search for yard crane dispatching in container terminals. In: Proc. of the Intern. Conf. on Tools with Artificial Intelligence, vol. 1, pp. 263–267 (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Guo, X., Huang, S.: Deciding on planning windows by partitioning time for yard crane management in container terminals. In: 1st Intern. Conf. on Computational Logistics (ICCL), Shanghai (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Guo, X., Huang, S.: A two stage yard crane workload partitioning and job sequencing algorithm for container terminals. In: Proc. of 25th Symposium on Applied Computing (2010) Google Scholar
- 6.Guo, X., Huang, S.: Dynamic space and time partitioning for yard crane workload management in container terminals. Transportation Science (accepted 2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Guo, X., Huang, S., Hsu, W., Low, M.: Simulation based hybrid algorithm for yard crane dispatching in container terminals. In: Proc. of the Winter Simulation Conference (December 2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Huang, S., Guo, X.: An improved least cost heuristic for dynamic yard crane deployment in container terminals. In: 7th Annual IEEE Conference on Automation Science and Engineering (2011)Google Scholar