Use Case Scenarios as Verification Conditions: Event-B/Flow Approach
Model-oriented formalisms rely on a combination of safety constraints and satisfaction of refinement obligations to demonstrate model correctness. We argue that for a significant class of models a substantial part of the desired model behaviour would not be covered by such correctness conditions, meaning that a formal development potentially ends with a correct model inadequate for its purpose. In this paper we present a method for augmenting Event-B specifications with additional proof obligations expressed in a visual, diagrammatic way. A case study illustrates how the method may be used to strengthen a model by translating use case scenarios from requirement documents into formal statements over a modelled system.
KeywordsCase Scenario Proof Obligation Requirement Document Operation Lookup Automate Prover
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Event-B.org. Event-B model repository (2011), http://deploy-eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/view/type/rodin=5Farchive.html
- 4.Fischer, C., Wehrheim, H.: Model-Checking CSP-OZ Specifications with FDR. In: Araki, A., Galloway, A., Taguchi, K. (eds.) IFM 1999: Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Integrated Formal Methods, London, UK, pp. 315–334. Springer, Heidelberg (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Hurlbut, R.R.: A survey of approaches for describing and formalizing use cases. Technical report, Expertech, Ltd. (1997)Google Scholar
- 6.Butler, M., Leuschel, M.: Combining CSP and B for Specification and Property Verification, pp. 221–236 (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Mendoza-Grado, V.M.: Formal Verification of Use Cases. In: Requirements Engineering: Use Cases and More (1995)Google Scholar
- 8.Flow Models of stack and NFS. Event B/Flow specification (2011), http://iliasov.org/usecase/nfs.zip
- 9.Plugin, F.: Event-B wiki page (2011), http://wiki.event-b.org/index.php/Flows
- 10.The RODIN platform, http://rodin-b-sharp.sourceforge.net/
- 12.NFSv4 web page. Network File System Version 4 (2011), http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/nfsv4/