High Resolution Image Reconstructed by ARPS Motion Estimation and POCS
In POCS (projection onto convex sets)-based reconstruction of HR (high resolution) image, the quality of reconstructed image is gradually improved through iterative motion estimation and image restoration. The amount of computation, however, increases because of the repeated inter-frame motion estimation. In this paper, an HR reconstruction algorithm is proposed where modified ARPS (adaptive rood pattern search) and POCS are simultaneously performed. In the modified ARPS, the motion estimates obtained from phase correlation or from the previous steps in POCS reconstruction are utilized as the initial reference in the motion estimation. Moreover, estimated motion is regularized with reference to the neighboring blocks’ motion to enhance the reliability. Computer simulation results show that, when compared to conventional methods which are composed of full search block matching and POCS restoration, the proposed method is about 30 times faster and yet produces HR images of almost equal or better quality.
KeywordsMotion Vector Motion Estimation High Resolution Image Phase Correlation Estimate Motion Vector
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Borman, S., Stevenson, R.: Spatial resolution enhancement of low-resolution image sequences: A comprehensive review with directions for future research. Lab. Image and Signal Analysis, University of Notre Dame, Tech. Rep. (July 1998)Google Scholar
- 2.Mateos, J., Katsaggelos, A., Molina, R.: Simultaneous motion estimation and resolution enhancement of compressed low resolution video. In: Proceedings of International Conference IEEE Image Processing, 2000, vol. 2, pp. 653–656 (September 2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Tekalp, A., Ozkan, M., Sezan, M.: High-resolution image reconstruction from lower-resolution image sequences and space-varying image restoration. In: IEEE ICASSP 1992, vol. 3, pp. 169–172 (1992)Google Scholar
- 9.Kim, B., Song, H., Kim, T., Kim, Y.: Reconstruction of an hr image by simultaneous pocs and regularized block matching. In: SPIE, vol. 6794 (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Vandewalle, P., Sbaiz, L., Susstrunk, S., Vetterli, M.: Registration of aliased images for super-resolution imaging. In: SPIE, vol. 6077, pp. 13–23 (2006)Google Scholar