Byzantizing Paxos by Refinement
We derive a \(3f\!+\!1\) process Byzantine Paxos consensus algorithm by Byzantizing a variant of the ordinary Paxos algorithm—that is, by having \(2f\!+\!1\) nonfaulty processes emulate the ordinary Paxos algorithm despite the presence of f malicious processes. We have written a formal, machine-checked proof that the Byzantized algorithm implements the ordinary Paxos consensus algorithm under a suitable refinement mapping.
KeywordsLiveness Property Consensus Algorithm Consensus Instance Synchrony Assumption Byzantine Consensus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Lamport, L.: Mechanically checked safety proof of a byzantine paxos algorithm, http://research.microsoft.com/users/lamport/tla/byzpaxos.html. The page can also be found by searching the Web for the 23-letter string obtained by removing the “-” from, uid-lamportbyzpaxosproof
- 10.Lamport, L., Malkhi, D., Zhou, L.: Vertical paxos and primary-backup replication. In: Tirthapura, S., Alvisi, L. (eds.) Proceedings of the 28th Annual ACM Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing, PODC 2009, pp. 312–313. ACM, New York (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Lamport, L.B.: Fast byzantine paxos. United States Patent 7620680, filed (August 15, 2002) issued (November 17, 2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Lamport, L.B., Massa, M.T.: Cheap Paxos. United States Patent 7249280, filed (June 18, 2004) issued (July 24, 2007)Google Scholar
- 13.Lampson, B.W.: The ABCDs of Paxos, http://research.microsoft.com/lampson/65-ABCDPaxos/Abstract.html
- 14.Martin, J.-P., Alvisi, L.: Fast byzantine consensus. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN 2005), Yokohama, pp. 402–411. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (2006)Google Scholar
- 15.Oki, B.M.: Viewstamped replication for highly available distributed systems. Technical Report MIT/LCS/TR-423, MIT Laboratory for Computer Science (Ph.D. Thesis) (August 1988)Google Scholar