Geothermal exploration in the Antirrio area (Western Greece)
The Riza - Antirrio area constitutes a new low enthalpy geothermal field located on the northern side of the Corinthian Gulf in Western Greece. After a detailed and systematic reconnaissance study including evaluation of geological and tectonic setting of the area, geophysical surveys, water temperature measurements at the heads of the existing irrigation and water supply wells, sampling and hydrochemical study, 4 geothermal wells were drilled. The first geothermal exploration borehole was drilled to a depth of 402 m during 1998-99. Two more wells were drilled in the period 2005-2006. Exploration borehole GL-1 was drilled down to 275.5 m and the temperature of 38°C was recorded at 270 m. Production well GLP-1 has a depth of 229 m and it yields 25 kg/s water of 36°C and Na-Cl type with TDS content of 45.7 g/L. The geothermal reservoir of this low enthalpy field composed of Eocene limestones is located at depths of about 110-250 m.
KeywordsThermal Water Production Well Geothermal Water Geothermal Reservoir Water Temperature Measurement
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Angelopoulos A (2000) Geothermal investigation in the Riza Antirrio area. Inst. Geol. and Miner. Explor. Athens (in Greek)Google Scholar
- Efthimiopoulos T, Fanara E, Vrellis G, Spyridonos E, Arvanitis A (2009) Final report on the study of the Riza - Antirrio geothermal field. Inst. Geol. and Miner. Explor. Athens (in Greek)Google Scholar
- Ellis PF (1981) A geothermal corrosivity classification system. Geoth. Res. Council Trans. 5, 463-469Google Scholar
- Fournier RO (1981) Application of water geochemistry to geothermal exploration and reservoir engineering. In: Rybach, L., Muffer, L.J.P. (eds.) Geothermal Systems: Principles and Case Histories. J. Wiley, pp. 109-143. New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Lachanas G. (2005) Geophysical investigation in the Riza - Antirrio area in the prefecture of Aitoloakarnania. Inst. Geol. and Miner. Explor. Athens (in Greek)Google Scholar
- Loftus DL, Tsoflias P. (1971) Geological Map of Greece, scale 1:50000, Nafpaktos Sheet. Inst. Geol. and Miner. Explor. AthensGoogle Scholar
- Mettos A, Karfakis J. (1991) Geological Map of Greece, scale 1:50000, Evinokhorio Sheet. Inst. Geol. and Miner. Explor. AthensGoogle Scholar
- Piper AM (1944) A graphic procedure in the geochemical interpretation of water-analyses. Trans. Amer. Geophysical Union 25, 914-928Google Scholar
- Traganos G, Simeakis K, Vrellis G, Efthimiopoulos T, Mpimpou A (2000) Identification and estimation of geothermal potential in Western Greece. Inst. Geol. and Miner. Explor. Athens (in Greek)Google Scholar
- Truesdell AH, Jones BF (1974) WATEQ-F a computed program for calculating chemical equilibria of natural waters. U.S. Geol. Surv. Journ. Res. 2, 233-248Google Scholar