Assessment of groundwater quality in the Megara basin, Attica, Greece
Groundwater samples were collected from 58 sampling sites of the Megara basin aiming to describe the groundwater quality in relation to geology and anthropogenic activities. The methodology applied in this study includes chemical analysis, statistical analysis, GIS database and comparison of the groundwater contents with quality standards given by the Dir.98/83/EC. The elevated Crtotal (up to 70.3 μg/L), Ni (up to 25.39 μg/L) and Mn (up to 87.77 μg/L) groundwater concentrations of Megara basin constitute a natural case of contamination; while the high NO3 - (up to 411 mg/L) and PO4 3- (up to 4.74 mg/L) groundwater concentrations could be attributed to the application of fertilizers and leakage of domestic sewage. The elevated Cl- (up to 3954.7 mg/L) and TDS (up to 8027 mg/L) groundwater contents recorded in coastal areas are attributed to the mixing of groundwater with seawater.
KeywordsInductively Couple Plasma Mass Spectrometry Groundwater Sample Groundwater Quality Quaternary Deposit Ultrabasic Rock
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aslam S (1982) Geomorphological study of Megara basin. Ph.D. Thesis, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens (in greek)Google Scholar
- Bornovas J, Eleftheriou A, Gaitanakis P, Rondogianni Th, Simeakis C, Tsaila-Monopolis S (1984) Geological Map of Greece, scale 1:50000, Kaparellion Sheet.Inst Geol and Miner.Explor.,AthensGoogle Scholar
- Dounas A, Christodoulou G, Tsaila – Monopolis St (1971) Geological Map of Greece, scale 1:50.000, Erithrai Sheet. Inst Geol and Subsurface Research, AthensGoogle Scholar
- EC (1998) Council Directive 98/83/EC Directive of the European Parliament on the quality of water intended for human consumption. The European Parliament and the Council of the European Union. Off J L 330Google Scholar
- Gaitanakis P, Mettos A, Koutsouveli A, Rondogiani Th, Tsaila – Monopolis St, Tsapralis K, Chorianopoulou P (1984) Geological Map of Greece, scale 1:50.000, Megara Sheet. Inst Geol and Miner.Explor.,AthensGoogle Scholar
- Gaitanakis P, Mettos A, Fytikas M, Tsaila – Monopolis St, Tsapralis V, Ioakim Ch (1985) Geological Map of Greece, scale 1:50.000, Sofikon Sheet. Inst Geol and Miner.Explor.,AthensGoogle Scholar
- Stamatis G, Alexakis D, Gamvroula D, Migiros G (2011) Groundwater quality assessment in Oropos-Kalamos basin, Attica, Greece. Environ Earth Sci, doi 10.1007/s12665-011-0914-2Google Scholar
- Vijay R, Khobragade P, Mohapatra P (2010) Assessment of groundwater quality in Puri City, India: an impact of anthropogenic activities. Environ Monit Assess, doi: 10.1007/s10661-010-1643-9Google Scholar