Quality regime of the water resources of Anthele Sperchios Delta area Fthiotida Prefecture
The studied area of Anthele, is located in the last part (delta) of Sperchios River (Fthiotida prefecture). Τhe most significant problem that confronts, is the deterioration of surface water quality. Αt the eastern part of Sperchios River up to the coastline the water quality appears to be improper for irrigation. The water coming from the irrigation – drainage canals of the agricultural redistribution, in the east, south-southeastern part of the area is saline. Groundwater quality, in the west, between Anthele village and the national road appears to be good. At the eastern part of Anthele there are indications of degradation. The main sources of pollution are the agricultural activities, the deposition of solid and liquid wastes inside Sperchios River, the mineral - thermal waters in the south and southeast part and the intrusion of the sea in the low parts of Sperchios River and the coastal lowland zone. The region is declared as protected area (Natura), because of the appearance of specific environmental and ecological characteristics. The preservation and exploitation of the water resources is an important necessity for the improvement and further development of the area.
KeywordsThermal Water Liquid Waste Surface Water Quality Irrigation Channel Irrigation Period
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- D.E.B. Fthiotidas, Geological cross sections of boreholesGoogle Scholar
- Kakavas NI (1984) Hydrological water balance of basin of Sperchios river, Phd Thesis, I.G.M.E., AthensGoogle Scholar
- Koutsogiannis D (2003) (YP.AN., E.M.P., I.G.M.E., K.E.P.E.), Project plan of water resources management of the country, Ministry of Development – Directory of Water Dynamic and Natural Resources, Athens 2003Google Scholar
- Stathopoulos, NI (2008) Research of the hydro-geological regime of Anthele area – Sperchios Delta of Fthiotida prefecture with emphasis at the quality of water resources, Master Diploma Thesis– DPMS Science and Technology of Water Resources, AthensGoogle Scholar
- T.O.E.B. (1993) Anthele and D.E.B. Fthiotias, Technical report of the results of drilling 3 irrigative boreholes TOEB Anthele and 1 TOEB Fakitsas Fthiotidas, Protocol Number 9651, LamiaGoogle Scholar