Quality Characteristics of groundwater resources in Almyros Basin coastal area, Magnesia Prefecture Greece
In this paper, groundwater quality characteristics of the coastal area of Almyros hydrological basin, which belongs in the Magnesia Prefecture, Greece are analyzed. Geological, tectonic and stromatographic conditions of the coastal area, are described. Description and analysis of the hydrogeological conditions that dominate the region and the quality characteristics of groundwater resources of the area follows. Particular attention is given to the phenomena of seawater intrusion and nitrate pollution. The general conclusion is that groundwater resources of the study area are affected by the seawater intrusion phenomenon, mainly at the northern and the southern area of the coastal region, due to local geological and tectonic characteristics, refreshing conditions and overexploitation of the groundwater resources.
KeywordsQuality Characteristic Groundwater Resource Seawater Intrusion Coastal Aquifer Quaternary Sediment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Appelo, C, Postma, D (2007) Geochemistry, Groundwater and Pollution, 2nd edition, A.A. Balkema Publishers, Rotterdam, pp. 650Google Scholar
- Galanakis D (1997) Neotectonic structure and stratigraphy of Neogene-Quaternary sediments of the Almyros-Pagasitikos, Pilion, Oreon-Trikeri and Maliakos basins, PhD thesis, Thessaloniki pp. 258Google Scholar
- Gimenez, E, Morell, I (1995) Hydrogeochemical analysis of salinization processes in the coastal aquifer of Oropesa (Castellon, Spain), Environmental Geology, 29 (1/2), pp. 118-131Google Scholar
- Dimopoulos, G (1983) Salzwasserfuhrende Karstquellen oderhalb der Meeresoberflche, Zeitschrift fur angewandle Geologie, Bd. 29, pp. 565-568Google Scholar
- Dimopoulos, G (1984) Geohydrologische und hydrochemische Probleme bei der Untersuchung von Salzkarstquellen, DGM, 28 H. 2, pp. 49-53Google Scholar
- Kallergis G (2000) Applied - Environmantal Hydrogeology, 2nd edition, Volume B, published T.C.G., Athens, pp. 345. (in Greek)Google Scholar
- Mandel, S and Shiftan, ZL (1981) Groundwater Resources Investigation and Development. Academic Press Inc., New York, 269 p; 1981Google Scholar
- Myriounis, C, Voudouris, K, Tsourlos, P, Soulios, G, Dimopoulos, G (2006). Hydrochemical and geophysical survey of the Almiros aquifer system, East Central Greece, 1st SWIM - SWICA, 19th Salt Water Intrusion Meeting, 3rd Salt Water Intrusion in Coastal Aquifers, Cagliari - Chia Launa, Italy, pp 221-227Google Scholar
- Myriounis, Ch (2008) Hydrogeological and hydrochemical conditions of groundwater in the coastal part of the hydrological basin of Almyros prefecture Magnesia. Phd Thesis, School of Geology, Thessaloniki, pp. 397Google Scholar
- Myriounis, Ch, Theocharis, M (2010) Quality characteristics of water resources, Environmental Impact assessment, Department of Crop Production, Technological Educational Institution of Epirus, pp. 333. (in Greek)Google Scholar