Comparison of three applied methods of groundwater vulnerability mapping: A case study from the Florina basin, Northern Greece
Three different methods of intrinsic groundwater vulnerability mapping were applied in the alluvial aquifer of Florina basin (NW Greece), covering an area of 180 km2. Vulnerability maps were produced using the parametric methods DRASTIC, GOD, AVI and the results are compared and evaluated. The three methods use different number of parameters with different weight and produce relatively different results. The comparison between these methods shows that the GOD method has the stronger correlation with the other two methods and produces vulnerability maps comparable with DRASTIC and AVI method.
KeywordsAlluvial Aquifer Groundwater Vulnerability Vulnerability Class Aquifer Vulnerability Drastic Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aller L, Bennett T, Lehr JH, Petty, RJ, Hackett G (1987) DRASTIC: A standardized system for evaluating ground water pollution potential using hydrogeologic settings. US Environmental Protection Agency, Report 600/2-85/018, WashingtonGoogle Scholar
- Civita M (1994) Le carte della vulnerabilità degli acquiferi all’ inquinamento. Teoria and practica. (Aquifer pollution vulnerability maps). Pitarora Ed., Bologna (in Italian)Google Scholar
- Corniello A, Ducci D, Napolitano P (1997) Comparison between parametric methods to evaluate aquifer pollution vulnerability using a GIS: An example in the ‘Piana Campana’, southern Italy. In: Marinos P, Koukis G., Tsiambaos G., Stournaras G. (Eds) Engineering Geology and the Environment, Balkema, Rotterdam, 1721-1726Google Scholar
- Foster SSD (1987) Fundamental concepts in aquifer vulnerability, pollution risk and protection strategy. In Van Duijvenbooden W, Waegeningh HG (eds) TNO Committee on Hydrological research, the Hague. Vulnerability of soil and groundwater to pollutants, Proc. Inf. 38, 69-86Google Scholar
- Gianneli Ch, Stamos Al, Stamos Ap, Voudouris K (2007) Surface and groundwater quality in Florina prefecture. Proc. 1st Conf. on Environmental Management, Engineering, Planning and Economics (CEMEPE). Skiathos, June 24-28, 765-770Google Scholar
- Kazakis N (2008) Groundwater vulnerability assessment in Florina basin. MSc thesis, Dept. of Geology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece (in Greek)Google Scholar
- Voudouris K, Manos B et al. (2007) Development and utilization of vulnerability maps for the monitoring and management of groundwater resources in the ARCHIMED areas: Presentation of an INTERREG III B Project. Proc. of International Scientific Conference “Modern Management of Mine Producing, Geology and Environmental Protection (SGEM 2007)”. 11-15 June, Varna, BulgariaGoogle Scholar
- Voudouris K (2009) Assessing groundwater pollution risk in Sarigkiol basin, NW Greece. In: M. Gallo and M. Herrari (Eds) River Pollution Research Progress, Chapter 7, 265-281. Nova Science Publishers IncGoogle Scholar
- Voudouris K, Kazakis N, Polemio M, Kareklas K (2010) Assessment of intrinsic vulnerability using DRASTIC model and GIS in the Kiti aquifer, Cyprus. European Water 30, 13-24Google Scholar
- Vrba J, Zaporozec A (1994) Guidebook on mapping groundwater vulnerability. Int. Association of Hydrogeologists. Int. Contributions to Hydrogeology; 16. Verlag Heinz Heise, HannoverGoogle Scholar