Assessment of natural and human effect in the alluvial deposits aquifer of Sperchios’ river plain
Groundwater samples were collected from 43 wells of the alluvial deposits aquifer of Sperchios’ river basin in 2007. The groundwater quality of the aquifer is influenced by various natural and anthropogenic factors. Evaluation of water quality for drinking and irrigation purposes is discussed. A comparison of these samples with the corresponding samples collected from IGME in 1971, for the same or nearby wells, was made. The spatial distribution of ions concentration was made using the inverse distance weighting (IDW) interpolation method of a Geographical Information System (GIS). The results showed an increase in most of the main chemical elements, such as Cl-, ΝΟ3 + and SO4 2-. Finally, increased concentrations of several heavy minerals were recorded having values that overcome the maximum allowable limits set by the EU.
KeywordsRiver Basin Groundwater Quality Seawater Intrusion Inverse Distance Weighting Alluvial Deposit Aquifer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aust H., Dounas A., Flathe H., Mühlfeld R., Kakavas N., Stahl W., Stavrou A., Tassios N., Trippler K., 1980. Groundwater in the Sperkhios basin, Central Greece. Geologisches Jahrbuch, C24, 3-24, HannoverGoogle Scholar
- Dassenakis E., Kastritis A., Triantafyllaki S., Bourou P. and Paraskevopoulou V. 2005. Pollutants distribution in Sperchios basin and effects in the coastal zone. Proceedings of IWRM-WB / Global NEST, p. 209-214, XanthiGoogle Scholar
- E.U. Council, 1998. Council directive 98/83 about water quality intended for human consumption. Official paper of the European Communities, VL330, pp. 32-54Google Scholar
- Ferrière J. 1977. Faits nouveaux concernant la zone isopique maliaque (Grèce continental orientale).-Proceed. VI Colloquium Geology of the Aegean region, 1977, I: 197-210Google Scholar
- Gartzos E. and Stamatis G. 1996. Genesis of the thermal springs of the Sperchios graben, Greece. N.Jb.Geol.Paläont.Mh., 1996 (2): 91-115; StuttgartGoogle Scholar
- Kakavas Ν. 1978. Hydrogeological research of Sperchios’ river basin. Institute of Geology & Mineral Exploration, Annex I: Inventory of water points, No. 26Google Scholar
- Kakavas Ν. 1985. The condition of the underground water reservoir in Sperchios’ river valley. Proposed ways to cover the deficit of water needs with the exploitation of underground water tanks. Institute of Geology & Mineral Exploration, No 44, p. 12, AthensGoogle Scholar
- Papadeas D.G. 1996. Geological and Geothermal research in the Sperchios’ river basin, Fthiotida. Institute of Geology & Mineral Exploration, No 3, p. 80 and Annex I & II, AthensGoogle Scholar
- Psomiadis E. 2010. Geomorphologic and Environmental Changes Research in the Sperchios’ River Basin Utilizing New Technologies. Doctorate Thesis elaborated at the Agricultural University of Athens, Laboratory of Mineralogy-Geology, p. 394Google Scholar
- Psyllidou-Giouranovits R., Voutsinou-Taliadouri F., Nacopoulou C., Georgakopoulou-Gregoriadou E., 1997. River discharge effects on the distribution of nutrients and heavy metals of Maliakos Gulf, Hellas. Fresenius Environmental Bulletin, 6, pp. 72-77Google Scholar
- Stahl W., Aust H., Dounas A., Kakavas A., 1975. Groundwater investigations, Sperchios basin/central Greece 1970-74. Internal. Report, IX: Stable isotope composition of different ground and surface waters from the Sperchios valley, p.40, Athens, I.G.M.E., (Unpubl)Google Scholar
- Trippler K., Aust H., Tassios N., 1979. Interpretation of a large-area aquifer test by digital model simulation (Sperkhios valley, Central Greece). Geol. Jb., C23, 23-34Google Scholar