Subsurface contamination with petroleum products is a threat to groundwater quality
Subsurface contamination with oil poses a threat to groundwater quality on the whole territory of Ukraine. The methods of search and prospecting of contaminated plums were analyzed. Oil behaviour in the subsurface and the methods of remediation were studied. The effectiveness of aviation kerosene removal was examined in a sandy column. Nonhazardous distances from a contamination source to water-supply wells for different hydrogeological conditions were determined by mathematical modelling. The case of drinking groundwater contamination with oil in Kherson City is examined.
KeywordsGroundwater Quality Petroleum Product Groundwater Contamination Saturated Zone Contamination Source
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bricks A., Negoda Y., Shpak O. (2002) Using computer modelling for predictions of groundwater contamination with petroleum products in the area of Lutsk aerodrome and development of actions to localize contamination. Proceedings of “IAP 2002”, Hungary. 99Google Scholar
- Farr A.M., Houghtalen R.J., McWhorter D.B. (1990) Volume estimation of light non aqueous phase liquids in porous media. Ground Water. No1. 48-56Google Scholar
- Ognianik N, Shpak O., Golub G., Negoda Y., Nasedkina O. (2003) The estimation of subsurface contamination with oil within the airbase (in Russian). Proceedings of “Sergeevskie chtenia”, Moscow. 342-348Google Scholar
- Ognianik N.S., Paramonova N.K., Bricks A.L., Pashkovskiy I.S., Konnov D.V. (2006) The fundamentals of studying of subsurface contamination with light petroleum products (in Russian). Kiev. 278 pGoogle Scholar
- Shpak O. (2006) Groundwater contamination with oil within large water-supply well systems (in Ukrainian). Proceedings “Modern areas of geology in Ukraine”, Kiev. 159-167Google Scholar
- Shpak O., Ognianik N., Negoda Y., Golub G. (2003) Assessment of military airbase impact on the environment. Proceedings of CERECO’2003, Hungary. 366-369Google Scholar
- www.biorosinfo.ru/papers-society/Strategy _Bioindustry.pdfGoogle Scholar