Conceptual Model and Hydrochemical Characteristics of an Intensively Exploited Mediterranean Aquifer
The conceptual model and the hydrochemical characteristics of the aquifer system of Vistonis plain in Northeastern Greece are presented. The study area is a rural region whose irrigation needs are met by the semi-confined aquifer system. Studies were undertaken in years 2003-2005 which utilized geological data, pumping test data and groundwater level measurements, in order to investigate the hydrogeological conditions of the semi-confined aquifer system of the study area. Based on this data a FLOWPATH II simulation was developed. The hydrochemical characteristics of the aquifer system of the study area were analyzed using basic statistics, Principal Component Analysis (PCA) and the expanded Durov diagram. The hydrogeological characteristics of the aquifer system vary significantly across the study area and are largely the result of contrasts in depositional environments. FLOWPATH II showed a clear tendency for groundwater to flow from a NW to a SE or E direction. The groundwater chemical analyses results showed that, the aquifer is locally affected by a geothermal field. PCA rendered seven significant PCs (eigenvalue > 1), explaining 76.8% of the total variance of the dataset. PCA revealed factors influenced by anthropogenic activities, such as fertilizer application and waste disposal, and also naturally induced hydrochemical processes.
KeywordsGroundwater Quality Geothermal Field Groundwater Flow Model Hydrochemical Characteristic Aquifer Thickness
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Boonstra J, Deridder NA (1981) Numerical Modelling of Groundwater Basins. ILRI, The Netherlands. 226 ppGoogle Scholar
- Diamantis I (1985) Hydrogeological research of Vistonis basin, aquifers study in a strong field of heterogeneity. PhD Thesis. Democritus University of Thrace, Department of Civil Engineering, Xanthi, Greece (in Greek)Google Scholar
- Kolios N, Koutsinos S, Arvanitis A, Karydakis G (2005) Geothermal situation in Northeastern Greece. Proceedings of World Geothermal Congress, Antalya, Turkey, 24-29 AprilGoogle Scholar
- Lloyd JW, Heathcote JA (1985) Natural inorganic hydrochemistry in relation to groundwater. Clarendon Press – Oxford. 294 ppGoogle Scholar
- Waterloo Hydrogeologic Inc. (1998) FLOWPATH II: User’s manual. 128 ppGoogle Scholar