Hydrochemical investigation of water at Loussi Polje, N Peloponnesus, Hellas
Loussi Polje, situated in the west of Helmos Mountain, N Peloponnesus, Greece, drains carbonate aquifers through several small karst springs. In the area, which is scarcely populated, few boreholes can be found, mostly used for irrigation purposes. In the framework of an integrated study of karst aquifer vulnerability, the physical and chemical characteristics of the water from these springs and boreholes were studied for two years. This paper deals with the hydrochemical analysis and results, in order to better understand the main factors that control the groundwater composition and its seasonal variations and to reveal the existence of any possible source of contamination.
KeywordsKarst Aquifer Carbonate Aquifer Karst System Piper Diagram Karst Spring
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Kallergis, G (2000) Applied Environmental Hydrogeology, TCG, AthensGoogle Scholar
- Koutsi R (2007) The role of epikarst in assessment and mapping of the karstic formations vulnerability, using the under establishment new relevant European method, PhD Thesis, NKUAGoogle Scholar
- Koutsi R, Stournaras G (2005) Tracer test at Loussi polje karst system (Kalavryta – North Peloponnesus, Hellas), 7th Hellenic Hydrogeological Conference and 2nd MEM Workshop on fissured Rocks Hydrology, Conference proceedings, 2, 241-248Google Scholar
- Piper AM (1944) A graphical procedure in the geochemical interpretation of water analyses. Trans. Amer. Geophys. Union 25, pp. 914-923Google Scholar
- Stournaras G, Panagopoulos A, Sotiropoulou K, Alexiadou Ch (1991) Aspects hydrogéologiques des bassins fermés karstiques. La grotte de Limnes Kastrion (Peloponnèse, Grèce) 116e Congrès des Sociétés Savantes, Chambéry, 5ème Colloque d’ Hydrologie en pays calcaire, Neuchâtel, 1992Google Scholar
- Zojer et al. (1986) Karst Hydrogeology of the Central and Eastern Peloponnesus (Greece), 5th International Symposium on underground water tracing. In Kommission Springer-Verlag WienGoogle Scholar