Nitrogen sources and denitrification potential of Cyprus aquifers, through isotopic investigation on nitrates
Nitrates is one of the most common groundwater pollutants. Being able to identify the source(s) as well as evaluating the denitrification capacity of aquifers can help shape appropriate remedial action. This paper aims to investigate the isotopic composition of nitrates in groundwater samples in order to identify primary and secondary nitrate sources as well as to evaluate denitrification potential of aquifers in Cyprus. A total of 135 groundwater samples from 12 different Ground Water Bodies (GWB) were analyzed for 15N/14N and 18O/16O. It was concluded that the dominant primary source of nitrate in rural Cyprus is fertilizers. For many samples a secondary nitrate source with an isotopic signature of organic source is contributing. This organic source is, in most cases, assumed to be manure. In 16% of the groundwater samples, manure was identified as the primary nitrate source. Finally, the potential of denitrification is seen in 21% of the samples from 7 different GWBs.
KeywordsIsotopic Composition Nitrate Concentration Groundwater Sample Mineral Fertilizer Organic Source
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Clark I, Fritz P (1997) Environmental Isotopes in Hydrogeology New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Constantinou C A (2004) Hydrogeological conditions of the area Larnaca-Vasilikos, Cyprus Unpublished PhD thesis, Patra University, Greece (In Greek)Google Scholar
- Hoefs J (1997) Stable isotope geochemistry. Berlin and New YorkGoogle Scholar
- LÉTOLLE R (1980) Nitrogen-15 in the natural environment. In: Handbook of Environmental Isotope Geochemistry Vol.1. FRITZ P. FONTES J C (eds.) Elsevier, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- Lorenz G, Voropaev A, Voerkelius S (2009) Isotope investigation in groundwater samples from Cyprus, Geological Survey Department (Unpublished report), LefkosiaGoogle Scholar
- Lorenz G, Voropaev A, Voerkelius S (2010) Isotope investigation in groundwater samples from Cyprus, Geological Survey Department (Unpublished report), LefkosiaGoogle Scholar
- U.N.D.P. (1970) Survey of groundwater and mineral resources-Cyprus. United Nations Development Program. United Nation. New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Water Development Department (2002) Re-assessment of water resources and demand of the island of Cyprus (Unpublished report), LefkosiaGoogle Scholar
- Udluft P, Dünkeloh A, Mederer J, Külls C, Schaller J (2006) Re-evaluation of the groundwater resources of Cyprus, LefkosiaGoogle Scholar