Inconsistency-Tolerant Integrity Checking Based on Inconsistency Metrics
A large diversity of different approaches to integrity checking has been proposed in the literature. We present a generic approach to integrity checking that is based on inconsistency metrics. It subsumes many known approaches to integrity checking by a uniform abstraction. As opposed to traditional approaches to integrity checking, it permits the tolerance of extant (i.e., surviving) inconsistency. Inconsistency metrics have been widely studied in the literature, but, so far, their applicability to integrity checking has largely remained unaddressed.
KeywordsIntegrity Theory Logic Programming Constraint Violation Integrity Constraint Deductive Database
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Afrati, F., Kolaitis, P.: Repair checking in inconsistent databases: algorithms and complexity. In: Proc. 12th ICDT, pp. 31–41. ACM Press, New York (2009)Google Scholar
- 2.Baltopoulos, I., Borgstroem, J., Gordon, A.: Maintaining Database Integrity with Refinement Types. University of Cambridge Whitepaper (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Decker, H.: Data Quality Maintenance by Integrity-preserving Repairs that Tolerate Inconsistency. To appear in Proc. 11th QSIC. IEEE CSP, Los Alamitos (July 2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Decker, H.: Answers that Have Integrity. Presented at the ICALP Workshop SDKB 2010, to appear in Post-Workshop, Proc. of SDKB. LNCS. Springer, Heidelberg (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Decker, H., Martinenghi, D.: Inconsistency-tolerant Integrity Checking. IEEE TKDE 23(2), 218–234 (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Decker, H., Martinenghi, D.: Classifying integrity checking methods with regard to inconsistency tolerance. In: Proc. 10th PPDP, pp. 195–204. ACM Press, New York (2008)Google Scholar
- 12.Gupta, A., Sagiv, Y., Ullman, J., Widom, J.: Constraint checking with partial information. In: Proc. 13th PODS, pp. 45–55. ACM Press, New York (1994)Google Scholar
- 17.Ross, K., Srivastava, D., Sudarshan, S.: Materialized View Maintenance and Integrity Constraint Checking: Trading Space for Time. In: Proc. SIGMOD 1996, pp. 447–458. ACM Press, New York (1996)Google Scholar
- 18.Rotaru, O., Petrescu, M.: A Database Integrity Pattern Language. Leonardo Journal of Sciences 5, 46–62 (2004)Google Scholar
- 20.Zhu, L.: Enforcement of Integrity Constraints in Deductive Databases. PhD Thesis at Simon Fraser University (1992)Google Scholar