Parts and Assembly Equipment Complexity Dependency Matrix
Individual parts handling and assembly attributes are used to develop the relationship between part assembly complexity and its related assembly equipment complexity. First, a complexity Dependency Matrix (DM) was developed to represent the interactions between parts attributes and system functions. Second, an Assembly Equipment Complexity Matrix (AECM) was developed to represent the average assembly equipment complexity. The assembly of an automotive engine piston is used to demonstrate the application of the proposed matrices. The dependency matrix and the assembly equipment complexity matrix can be used by product designers and system developers to estimate the average assembly equipment complexity prior to determining the system configuration structure. This will save time and effort in analyzing the complexity of all system components and make the necessary changes at the early design stages.
Keywords:Mapping Complexity Dependency Matrix
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Blecker, T. Abdelkafi, N., (2005): Modularity and Delayed Product Differentiation in Assemble-to-Order Systems: Analysis and Extensions from a Complexity Perspective, in: Proceeding of the international mass customization meeting Klagenfurt/Austria, Gito Verlag, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- Steger, U., (2007). Managing Complexity in Global Organizations, John Wiley Sons, Ltd., Chichester.Google Scholar
- Wang, H., Aydin, G. Hu, S.J., (2011): A Complexity Model for Assembly Supply Chains in the Presence of Product Variety and Its Relationship to Cost[online], http://www.personal.umich.edu/~johnwang/Johns_Website/Re search_files/Complexity_and_Cost_of_Supply_Chain.pdf (Access Date 2011).
- Shibata, H., Cheldelin, B. Ishii, K., (2003): Assembly Quality Methodology: A New Method for Evaluating Assembly Complexity in Globally Distributed Manufacturing, in: ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress, Washington, DC, United States, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, NY, US, pp. 335-344.Google Scholar
- Lee, T.-S., (2003): Complexity Theory in Axiomatic Design, (PhD), Massachusetts Institute of Technology.Google Scholar
- ElMaraghy, H., (2006): A Complexity Code for Manufacturing Systems, in: Ypsilanti, MI, United states, American Society of Mechanical Engineers.Google Scholar
- ElMaraghy, H., Samy, S.N. Espinoza, V., (2010): A Classification Code for Assembly Systems, in: 3rd CIRP Conference on Assembly Technologies and Systems, CATS2010, Trondheim, Norway, pp. 145-150.Google Scholar
- Martin, M.V. Ishii, K., (1996): Design for Variety: A Methodology for Understanding the Costs of Product Proliferation, in: Proceedings of the ASME Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers in Engineering Conference, Irvine, California, pp. Paper No. 96- DETC/DTM-1610.Google Scholar
- Samy, S.N. ElMaraghy, H., (2008): Effect of Variety on Assembly Complexity In: Proceedings of 2nd CIRP Conference on Assembly Technologies & Systems, Toronto, ON, Canada, CATS2008, pp. 184-197.Google Scholar
- Boothroyd, G., Dewhurst, P., Knight, W.A., (2002). Product Design for Manufacture and Assembly, Marcel Dekker, New York.Google Scholar
- Rodriguez-Toro, C., Jared, G. Swift, K., (2004): Product- Development Complexity Metrics: A Framework for Proactive- Dfa Implementation, in: International design conference Dubrovnik, pp. 483 – 490.Google Scholar
- Stork, S. Schubo, A., (2010): Human Cognition in Manual Assembly: Theories and Applications, Advanced Engineering Informatics, Vol. 24, No. Compendex, pp. 320-328.Google Scholar
- Zaeh, M.F., Wiesbeck, M., Stork, S. Schubo, A., (2009): A Multi-Dimensional Measure for Determining the Complexity of Manual Assembly Operations, Production Engineering, Vol. 3, No. Compendex, pp. 489-496.Google Scholar
- Su, Q., Liu, L. Whitney, D.E., (2010): A Systematic Study of the Prediction Model for Operator-Induced Assembly Defects Based on Assembly Complexity Factors, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Part A:Systems and Humans, Vol. 40, No. Compendex, pp. 107-120.Google Scholar
- Samy, S.N. ElMaraghy, H., (2010): A Model for Measuring Products Assembly Complexity, International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing, Vol. 23, No. Compendex, pp. 1015-1027.Google Scholar