Impact of Machine-Driven Capacity Constellations on Performance and Dynamics of Job-Shop Systems
Machine-specific processing characteristics within job-shop systems result in differences regarding the machines’ capacities leading to heterogeneous overall capacity for the associated workshops. These capacity constellations influence the dynamics and the performance of the system. In this article, the impact of varying capacity constellations is studied by means of discrete-event simulation. For data analysis, simple logistics key figures as well as advanced concepts of nonlinear dynamics are applied. Following this approach, detailed insights are derived considering the impact of capacity constellations on the achievement of important performance measurements and on the system’s dynamics, e.g. regarding its dimensionality and predictability.
Keywords:Job-Shop System Capacity Constellation Nonlinear Dynamics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Slack, N., Chambers, S., Johnston, R. (2007): Operations Management, Pearson Educated Limited, Harlow.Google Scholar
- Scholz-Reiter, B., Toonen, C., Tervo, J.T. (2009): Investigation of the Influence of Capacities and Layout on a Job-Shop- System's Dynamics, in: Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Dynamics in Logistics (LDIC 2009), pp. 389-398, Bremen, Germany.Google Scholar
- Hopp, J.W., Spearman, M.L. (2008): Factory Physics, McGraw Hill, New York.Google Scholar
- Donner, R., Hinrichs, U., Schicht, C., Scholz-Reiter, B. (2011): Complexity-Based Evaluation of Production Strategies Using Discrete-Event Simulation, in: Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Dynamics in Logistics (LDIC 2009), pp. 423-432, Bremen, Germany.Google Scholar
- Philipp, T., de Beer, C., Windt, K., Scholz-Reiter, B. (2007): Evaluation of Autonomous Logistic Processes – Analysis of the Influence of Structural Complexity, in: Hülsmann, M., Windt, K. (eds): Understanding Autonomous Cooperation and Control in Logistics, pp. 303-324, Springer, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Scholz-Reiter, B., Toonen, C., Lappe, D. (in press): Investigation of the Influence of Machine-Driven Capacity Constellations on the Performance of Job-Shop-Systems, in: Proceedings of the International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Systems Management (IESM 2011), Metz, France.Google Scholar
- Donner, R., Sakamoto, T., Tanizuka, N. (2008): Complexity of Spatio-Temporal Correlations in Japanese Air Temperature Records. In: Donner, R.V., Barbosa, S.M. (eds): Nonlinear Time Series Analysis in the Geosciences – Applications in Climatology, Geodynamics, and Solar-Terrestrial Physics, pp. 125-154, Springer, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Donner, R. (2007): Advanced Methods for Analysing and Modelling of Multivariate Palaeoclimatic Time Series, PhD thesis, University of Potsdam.Google Scholar
- Xie, X., Zhao, X., Fang, Y., Cao, Z., He, G. (in press): Normalized Linear Variance Decay Dimension Density and its Application of Dynamical Complexity Detection in Physiological (fMRI) Time Series, Physics Letters A, Vol. 375, No. 17, pp. 1789-1795.Google Scholar