Web-Scale Human Task Management
Today, many professionals work on several projects in different teams at the same time and manage their task in these projects manually or with the help of a task management system. Business portals in larger companies typically provide some kind of task management support. But often they lack facilities to manage tasks beyond organizational boundaries and need technical support by IT departments. To overcome these limitations, especially loosely coupled teams make extensive use of emails and forgo explicit task management features.
As the usage of web applications in all areas of life increases and thus more and more tasks are performed online, new solutions for web-based task management have become necessary. In this paper, we determine requirements for managing tasks in distributed environments without any central supervisory body, and identify related research challenges.
KeywordsTask Management Task Execution Program Chair Human Task Architectural Decision
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Agrawal, A., et al.: Web Services Human Task (WS-HumanTask), Version 1.0 (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Agrawal, A., et al.: WS-BPEL Extension for People (BPEL4People), Version 1.0 (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Bardram, J.E., Christensen, H.B., Hansen, K.M.: Architectural Prototyping: An Approach for Grounding Architectural Design and Learning. In: Fourth Working IEEE/IFIP Conference on Software Architecture, WICSA 2004, pp. 15–24. IEEE Computer Society, Washington, DC (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Hoffmann, F.: Aufgabe (german). In: Grochla, E. (ed.) Handwörterbuch der Organisation, pp. 200–207. Poeschel, Stuttgart (1980)Google Scholar
- 7.Kapos, G.-D., Tsalgatidou, A., Nikolaidou, M.: A Web Service-Based Platform for CSCW over Heterogeneous End-User Applications. In: ISCA 17th International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing Systems, PDCS 2004, pp. 462–469 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Russell, N., ter Hofstede, A.H.M., Edmond, D., van der Aalst, W.M.P.: Workflow Resource Patterns. Eindhoven University of Technology, Eindhoven (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Russell, N., van der Aalst, W.M.P.: Evaluation of the BPEL4People and WS-HumanTask extensions to WS-BPEL 2.0 using the workflow resource patterns. BPM Center (2007)Google Scholar