Hidden Node and Interference Aware Channel Assignment for Multi-radio Multi-channel Wireless Mesh Networks
Carrier sense interference and hidden terminal problem are two critical factors, which limit the performance of wireless mesh networks. In order to increase the throughput of the network, multi-radio and multi-channel technology has been put forward to address this problem, since more channels can be used simultaneously to avoid collisions. In this paper, we propose a new scheme for hidden node and interference aware channel assignment, in which both hidden terminal problem and carrier sense interference are taken into consideration. This scheme is put forward in the link layer instead of network layer, which is a pre-determined approach. Our simulation results show that this optimum channel assignment scheme which has the least carrier sense interference and hidden terminal problem will be proposed before the establishment of network infrastructure.
KeywordsHide Node Mesh Network Channel Assignment Wireless Mesh Network Average Throughput
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gupta, P., Kumar, P.R.: The capacity of wireless networks. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 388–404 (2000)Google Scholar
- 2.Ramachandran, K.N., Belding-Royer, E.M., Almeroth, K.C., Buddhikot, M.M.: Interference-Aware Channel Assignment in Multi-Radio Wireless Mesh Networks. In: INFOCOM (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Jamieson, K., Hull, B., Miu, A., Balakrishnan, H.: Understanding the Real-World Performance of Carrier Sense. In: ACM Sigcomm Workshop on Experimental Approaches to Wireless Network Design and Analysis, pp. 52–57 (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Vasan, A., Ramjee, R., Woo, T.Y.C.: ECHOS - enhanced capacity 802.11 hotspots. In: INFOCOM, pp. 1562–1572 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Hammash, D., Kim, M., Kang, S., Lee, S., Lee, B.: HIAM: Hidden Node and Interference Aware Routing Metric for Multi-channel Multi-radio Mesh Networks. Submitted for publication in IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Das, A., Alazemi, H.M.K., Vijayakumar, R., Roy, S.: Optimization Models for Fixed Channel Assignment in Wireless Mesh Networks with Multiple Radios. In: IEEE SECON, pp. 463–474 (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Kyasanur, P., Vaidya, N.: Routing and interface assignment in multi-channel multi-interface wireless networks. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Technical Report (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Draves, R., Padhye, J., Zill, B.: Routing in multi-radio, multi-hop wireless mesh networks. In: MOBICOM, pp. 114–128 (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Maheshwari, R., Gupta, H., Das, S.: Multichannel mac protocols for wireless networks. In: IEEE SECON, pp. 25–28 (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Subramanian, A., Krishnan, R., Das, S.R., Gupta, H.: Minimum interference channel assignment in multi-radiowireless mesh networks. In: IEEE SECON, pp. 18–21 (2007)Google Scholar