Economic Viability of eCare Solutions
Provisioning of good quality care to the elderly population and at the same time reducing the pressure on the health care expenditures is a challenging issue for governments today. Many ICT supported, distant care systems (eCare) have been proposed but few have found their way to the market. The problem is to provide a viable business case for each actor involved (including eCare platform, health care and finance providers) when offering eCare services. We have constructed a model for evaluating the (socio-)economic viability of different business models when introducing eCare solutions. A multi-actor approach has been implemented, calculating and evaluating the business case for each actor involved. For a Belgian case we will show (socio)-economic advantages to participate in an eCare ecosystem.
KeywordseCare Business model Multi-actor analysis Economic viability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.European Commission. Business models for eHealth. Prepared for ICT for Health Unit, DG Information Society and Media (February 28, 2010), http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/activities/health/docs/studies/business_model/business_models_eHealth_report.pdf
- 2.Hebert, M.A., Korabek, B.: Stakeholder Readiness for Telehomecare: Implications for Implementation. Telemedicine Journal and e-Health, 85–92 (March 2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Dávalos, M.E., French, M.T., Burdick, A.E., Simmons, S.C.: Economic Evaluation of Telemedicine: Review of the Literature and Research Guidelines for Benefit–Cost Analysis. Telemedicine and e-Health, 933–948 (December 2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Rojas, S.V., Gagnon, M.-P.: A Systematic Review of the Key Indicators for Assessing Telehomecare Cost-Effectiveness. Telemedicine and e-Health, 896–904 (November 2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Dansky, K.H., Palmer, L., Shea, D., Bowles, K.H.: Cost Analysis of Telehomecare. Telemedicine Journal and e-Health, 225–232 (September 2001)Google Scholar
- 6.IBBT - Transecare project, https://projects.ibbt.be/transecare/
- 7.Van Ooteghem, J., De Maesschalck, S., Bamelis, K., Devos, J., Verhoeve, P., Colle, D., Ackaert, A., Pickavet, M., Demeester, P.: An eHealth business model for independent living systems. In: Proceedings (on CD-ROM) of e-Challenges 2007, The Hague, October 24-26 (2007) ISBN 978-1-58603-801-4Google Scholar