Non-local Shape Descriptor: A New Similarity Metric for Deformable Multi-modal Registration
Deformable registration of images obtained from different modalities remains a challenging task in medical image analysis. This paper addresses this problem and proposes a new similarity metric for multi-modal registration, the non-local shape descriptor. It aims to extract the shape of anatomical features in a non-local region. By utilizing the dense evaluation of shape descriptors, this new measure bridges the gap between intensity-based and geometric feature-based similarity criteria. Our new metric allows for accurate and reliable registration of clinical multi-modal datasets and is robust against the most considerable differences between modalities, such as non-functional intensity relations, different amounts of noise and non-uniform bias fields. The measure has been implemented in a non-rigid diffusion-regularized registration framework. It has been applied to synthetic test images and challenging clinical MRI and CT chest scans. Experimental results demonstrate its advantages over the most commonly used similarity metric - mutual information, and show improved alignment of anatomical landmarks.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Murphy, K., van Ginneken, B., Reinhardt, J., Kabus, S., Ding, K., Deng, X., Pluim, J.P.W.: Evaluation of Methods for Pulmonary Image Registration: The EMPIRE10 Study. In: Medical Image Analysis for the Clinic: A Grand Challenge (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Haber, E., Modersitzki, J.: Intensity Gradient Based Registration and Fusion of Multi-modal Images. Methods Inf. Med. 46(3), 292–299 (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Buades, A., Coll, B., Morel, J.M.: A Non-Local Algorithm for Image Denoising. In: IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 60–65. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Shechtman, E., Irani, M.: Matching Local Self-Similarities across Images and Videos. In: IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 1–8. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Zikic, D., Baust, M., Kamen, A., Navab, N.: Generalization of Deformable Registration in Riemannian Sobolev Spaces. In: Jiang, T., Navab, N., Pluim, J., Viergever, M. (eds.) MICCAI 2010. LNCS, vol. 6362, pp. 586–593. Springer, Heidelberg (2010)Google Scholar
- 13.Ourselin, S., Roche, A., Prima, S., Ayache, N.: Block Matching: A General Framework to Improve Robustness of Rigid Registration of Medical Images. In: Delp, S., DiGoia, A., Jaramaz, B. (eds.) MICCAI 2000. LNCS, vol. 1935, pp. 557–566. Springer, Heidelberg (2000)Google Scholar