DCU and ISI@INEX 2010: Adhoc and Data-Centric Tracks
We describe the participation of Dublin City University (DCU) and Indian Statistical Institute (ISI) in INEX 2010 for the Adhoc and Data Centric tracks. The main contributions of this paper are: i) a simplified version of Hierarchical Language Model (HLM), which involves scoring XML elements with a combined probability of generating the given query from itself and the top level articl node, is shown to outperform the baselines of LM and VSM scoring of XML elements; ii) the Expectation Maximization (EM) feedback in LM is shown to be the most effective on the domain specific collection of IMDB; iii) automated removal of sentences indicating aspects of irrelevance from the narratives of INEX ad hoc topics is shown to improve retrieval effectiveness.
KeywordsQuery Term Query Expansion Article Level Language Modeling Approach Good Retrieval Result
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Lovins, J.B.: Development of a stemming algorithm. Mechanical Translation and Computational Linguistics 11, 22–31 (1968)Google Scholar
- 4.Hiemstra, D.: Using language models for information retrieval. PhD thesis, University of Twente (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Sigurbjrnsson, B., Kamps, J., de Rijke, M.: An element-based approach to xml retrieval. In: INEX 2003 Workshop Proceedings (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Singhal, A.: Term Weighting Revisited. PhD thesis, Cornell University (1996)Google Scholar
- 8.Ponte, J.M.: A language modeling approach to information retrieval. PhD thesis, University of Massachusetts (1998)Google Scholar
- 9.Palchowdhury, S., Pal, S., Mitra, M.: Using negative information in search. In: Proc. 2011 Second International Conference on Emerging Applications of Information Technology (EAIT 2011), pp. 53–56 (2011)Google Scholar